CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine interchange 01 to later model

Trying to get a more definitive answer as to swapping my 01(crack block external) for a later model Northstar engine. If all years are compatible as long as you have the PCM or not. Also will a Bonneville GXP Northstar will work as well.

Anyone know if the interchange is possible?

Trying to get a more definitive answer as to swapping my 01(crack block external) for a later model Northstar engine. If all years are compatible as long as you have the PCM or not. Also will a Bonneville GXP Northstar will work as well.

Anyone know if the interchange is possible?

anyone with a hollander interchange book

Sorry, I don't have a interchange book. I think any of the FWD northstars will be notionally the same, if you plan to keep the PCM and harness from the 01. Obviously it simplifies things to just get another 2001.

The Bonneville GXP had a SLS engine and a STS final drive, but again if you are using the original PCM the block should work.

I hope you will post up pictures as you go with this project.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Sorry, I don't have a interchange book. I think any of the FWD northstars will be notionally the same, if you plan to keep the PCM and harness from the 01. Obviously it simplifies things to just get another 2001.

The Bonneville GXP had a SLS engine and a STS final drive, but again if you are using the original PCM the block should work.

I hope you will post up pictures as you go with this project.

Will do...I may have to go to Cadllac to see if the exchange is possible...It seems this question and or project seems to be baffling. Other than yourself I have not received any feedback to date, with 51 looks

It's going to be very difficult to determine what you can swap, and what you can't. There are so many changes made year to year, and many of them are very subtle. I bought a 1995 drivetrain to install in my 1994 STS. All the engine related components are compatible when using the '95 computer, but they changed ABS systems in '95 and the ABS wiring is completely different. The ABS wiring is integral to the engine wiring harness, so the '95 harness won't work on my car. This is dissapointing because my original wiring is all hacked up from the knucklehead that owned the car before me. You need to keep in mind that these cars have multiple computers that are all tied together, so if you change to a newer engine computer you could end up with a compatibiliy problem between the different systems. Even if all the wiring and connectors are the same, there could be software changes that would cause problems. Trying to install a different year engine is just asking for headaches. If you have a VIN "Y" engine, years 2000 to 2002 are a direct interchange. If it's a "9", 2001 and 2002 are the same. There are plenty of fairly low mileage engines available for these applications, so I think that would be your best bet.

Jeff

Archived