CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Windows PB on my 94 STS

Hello there,

I'm the new happy owner of a 94 Seville STS :-).

When I got the car the 2 rear windows were not working. Not really a problem at this time. Suddenly today the driver window is inoperative. Only one window left :(

I'm a newcomer to Caddy and I would appreciate advices.

Could somebody help me with that pb?

I can help you get started, and someone can jump in that has experience with taking off the door panels if that is necessary. First, you need to get the OBD codes. Here's how:

Write the codes down and post them here.

The next thing to do is to check the fuses. The main fuses are under the hood on the driver's side, low on the fender well, covered by a black plastic cover. The body fuses are mostly behind the rear seat on the right side; you get to them through the trunk by pulling back the trunk liner.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Door panel removal: I'm doing this from memory, but I'm pretty sure it's right.

1. Carefully pry out window switch panel and disconnect wiring

2. Pry off the plastic trim piece around the inside door handle.

3. Remove the screw that's hidden behind trim just removed: common for this to be broken off

already (this screw is below the window switches on Eldorados)

4. Pry out bottom rear corner of the door carpet to un-pop plastic push-clip

5. Remove screw hidden behind the carpet: super common for this to be broken already

6. Lift door panel straight up. It does not have the traditional push-clips holding it to the door. It has

plastic legs that slide into slots at the bottom of the door.

7. Disconnect any additional wiring to the panel.

If your door panel has been removed before you will probably find lots of broken pieces, because many knuckeheads just pull on the panels until they break off of the door. <_<

Jeff

OK thanks to both of U for your help.

I just ot those history codes from the Cad :

S036

S044

S061

P052

P071

P109

I052

Only current code is an A047, but it's no pb.

I drove around this morning and surprisingly, my windows worked fine again. So I guess the fuse is not the pb.

But when I sat in the car a few minutes ago to read the codes, it went off again :(

I suppose I will have to remove the door panel thanks to bigmoparjeff indications and check my connections.

One thing I can add is that when I operate the switch I can hear a click but the window won't move.

Concerning the rear windows :

Left rear : I can see the interior lights dim slightly when I operate the switch, but the window remains stuck

Right rear : no dimming, no click, window stuck

Maybe different causes to my pb ?

Lionel. By the way, I live in southern France (La Ciotat) :)

S036 Electronic Level Control Compressor Short to Ground/Open

S044 Lift or Dive Signal Fault

S061 Right Front Position Sensor Fault

P052 (E052) PCM Memory Reset

P071 (E071) Intermittent MAP Signal

P109 (E109) Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Reset/PCM has lost primary battery power

I052 Keep Alive Memory Error

A047 Low Refrigerant Charge

This shows a disconnected or faulty right front position sensor, a bad connection on the MAP sensor connector, low Freon in the air conditioner, and that the battery has been out recently.

It looks like the left front and rear windows are simply stuck in the tracks. The right rear window may be more serious, such as a bad motor.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

S036 Electronic Level Control Compressor Short to Ground/Open

S044 Lift or Dive Signal Fault

S061 Right Front Position Sensor Fault

P052 (E052) PCM Memory Reset

P071 (E071) Intermittent MAP Signal

P109 (E109) Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Reset/PCM has lost primary battery power

I052 Keep Alive Memory Error

A047 Low Refrigerant Charge

This shows a disconnected or faulty right front position sensor, a bad connection on the MAP sensor connector, low Freon in the air conditioner, and that the battery has been out recently.

It looks like the left front and rear windows are simply stuck in the tracks. The right rear window may be more serious, such as a bad motor.

Waouh!

Where can I find the complete codes list ?

I guess that since only A047 is current, the others codes refer to past pb right?

So next step is door panels removal and windows check...

Tks for ur precious help, I'll keep u informed :)

Pb is my free time is scarce, so that'll have to wait until next w/e :(

Lionel

Door panel removal: I'm doing this from memory, but I'm pretty sure it's right.

1. Carefully pry out window switch panel and disconnect wiring

2. Pry off the plastic trim piece around the inside door handle.

3. Remove the screw that's hidden behind trim just removed: common for this to be broken off

already (this screw is below the window switches on Eldorados)

4. Pry out bottom rear corner of the door carpet to un-pop plastic push-clip

5. Remove screw hidden behind the carpet: super common for this to be broken already

6. Lift door panel straight up. It does not have the traditional push-clips holding it to the door. It has

plastic legs that slide into slots at the bottom of the door.

7. Disconnect any additional wiring to the panel.

If your door panel has been removed before you will probably find lots of broken pieces, because many knuckeheads just pull on the panels until they break off of the door. <_<

Jeff

Hey Jeff

sorry, I'm not that familiar with forums so I thank U for ur advices :)

It will sure help me not to break everything off

A code will always be History if you just turn the key on and run the codes, unless it is a continuous fault like the Freon level. the best way to determine which codes are really Current is to drive the car, preferably through an OBD driving cycle (cruise over 45 mph, etc.) and check the codes before you turn off the key.

Three of the codes are set when you disconnect the battery: P052, P109, and I052. If you don't want to see those, reset the codes through the HVAC interface (see link in my signature block).

Codes that are set are kept in History for about three months. The exact timing is done by counting driving cycles, or how many times the car is started and driven. It varies with some codes, which may be reset after as few as three driving cycles.

A hard-nose approach is to reset all the codes, then drive the car through an OBD cycle, and check the codes before turning off the key. Then, even if an intermittent problem is detected, then the problem goes away and the code goes to History, you know that it was set while you were last driving.

A code will always be History if you just turn the key on and run the codes, unless it is a continuous fault like the Freon level. the best way to determine which codes are really Current is to drive the car, preferably through an OBD driving cycle (cruise over 45 mph, etc.) and check the codes before you turn off the key.

Three of the codes are set when you disconnect the battery: P052, P109, and I052. If you don't want to see those, reset the codes through the HVAC interface (see link in my signature block).

Codes that are set are kept in History for about three months. The exact timing is done by counting driving cycles, or how many times the car is started and driven. It varies with some codes, which may be reset after as few as three driving cycles.

A hard-nose approach is to reset all the codes, then drive the car through an OBD cycle, and check the codes before turning off the key. Then, even if an intermittent problem is detected, then the problem goes away and the code goes to History, you know that it was set while you were last driving.

OK, then next WE I'll perform the driving cycle and check the codes.

Tx Jim

Archived