CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

water in trunk

bigfoo

Why do i have an inch or so of water in the bottom of my trunk :/

It's been raining a whole lot but still there shouldnt be water there :(

all the seals look good... any ideas?

In my case it was rain water dripping off an open trunk lid. Others have found leaking seals and failed joint compound.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Big Foo,

Here is a previous discussion thread on thi ssite:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1421&hl=

It includes seal discussions and even what-ifs about leaking tail lights and installing drain holes.

Try search on "trunk", an dolder than 30-days - it will be there.

Good luck

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Yes thanks I read that......... all the seals look great though. They look and feel good as new... After inspecting how the seals work the water would have to go UP to get into the trunk and water doesn't do that :) Nothing but the bottom of the trunk is wet and i looked all over the place. Will try the 'flashlight inside trunk whilst someone sprays water' thing but I'm doubtful it will show anything.

Tail lights look like they only have 2 or 3 holes that input into the trunk, the rest is outside so even if they willed up with water the only place for the water to get in would be through the screw holes or the wiring harness which has a rubber seal too.

I'm pretty stumped.

Lots of weird little issues since i had this car :) It seems to change its mind a lot.. (sometimes wipers go on randomly, sometimes headlights stay on and sometimes they work right with the light sensor.. burns a lot of oil :) , constant vibrations i can't track down yet, lots of little things needed to be replaced like seat heaters, crank sensors, o2 sensors, etc.. now the brakes are squeaking when i come to a stop.. I could go on a lot longer but i digress.. If i didn't like driving the car so much these things would drive me crazy. I look at my truck and it kinda just works , always starts, etc never anything happens to it heh (knock on wood) ) ..

I have a leaky trunk as well. Put the kid in with a flash light and found a leak by the right seal. Could be the rubber or the joint compound. It's on my list to fix but it's been 85 to 90 degrees out lately and the golf course is in great shape. When I fix it I wil post back.

Rick

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Ahaha.. OK :) all the seals and stuff look good as new. Kid in trunk , dad with hose method is next :) Now which kid should i use.. ehehe

I had a water problem in my Eldorado. I was focused on the trunk seal, but it turned out to be the the rear window. They used a redesigned GM replacement seal to fix it. If your trunk is like mine, could the water have been in there over a period of time? (out of sight)

Ya the water could have been there a while, but it didn't smeill like it had been there too long.. maybe a few days to a week max

While you are searching for the water source, pull the carpet / pad and place in an air conditioned environment for a few days if possible. It required 3 days in the house to completely dry my carpet / pad.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Yeah I think the '99 Seville came with a trunk leak as standard equipment.

Things to look for:

1. Check the sunroof drains to make sure thy are properly routed and not clogged up.

2. Check the trunk seal. I was told by the dealer that there is a new design of seal available. They put it in mine and it helped some, but not 100%.

3. With the seal removed, check for irregularies on the metal lip.

Not to discourage you but mine leaked so bad that five trips to the dealer never totally fixed it. I finally traded the darn thing in with the trunk still damp. Now it's someone else's problem. Umm, yours isn't polo green is it?

LOL.. Yes it's green :) I think that's the color .. really dark green metallic kinda color. I'll check the sunroof drains but I don't wanna take apart the roof to check them all :) I suppose it could be coming in the sunroof but why would that drain into the trunk.. makes no sense.. and only the bottom is wet and usually there's a lot of junk in my trunk and none of it was wet either so I'm assuming it's not coming from the top of the trunk anywhere but i could be wrong.. might just drip in the one little spot that wasn't occupied in the trunk :)

Heheh.. well the source of the water was coming through the trunk seal, not from between the trunk lid and the seal, but from INSIDE the seal.. So you'd never guess what I did.. I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it all out and then I filled the seal with exterior 100% silicone (caulk) and put it back on then put some extra around the edges. also caulked the plastic things on the side (couldn't figure out how to get them off without breaking it)

sooooooo.. we will see in a day or so once I know it's fully dry ill blast it with some water :)

Seal from the dealer was $50.. so if i saved myself $50.. I'll be happy :>

Archived