CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 Cadillac STS:

Got home this morning and the power steering was empty. I thought I seen [what i thought was old oil] on the passenger side on the oil but now I know it is power steering fluid.

How do I find were the leak is at or could the problem be the pump?

The car makes a whining sound when you turn it but.. it did that when it was full of fluid so could it be pump is leaking at bottom or is it a house. How could I determine either way what the cause of the leak is.?

The best way to find the leak is to fill the reservoir and start the car, then look to see where it's squirting out. Be careful not to get squirted in the eyes while looking. If the leak is towards the back of the engine, it's probably the high pressure line from the pump to the rack: not fun to replace, and most likely to be the source of the leak. If it's in front of the engine, it would be the return line leaking: easy to replace, but less likely to be the leaker. If the pump was leaking, the fluid would either be spraying all over the engine compartment, or running down into the open area under the intake manifold.

Jeff

The line that runs to the back is the one that is leaking but I can't see were it goes in the back and how to fix it so I am at a stand still i need to know if there is any threads that show how to replace this part of somewhere else were there is a diagram to replace it...

Thanks

I just got the part put on man that was HELL to do.... with limited tools and only one jack that was crazy hard... Now I just got to hope that it is the line and not the pump cuz I'm tired of sinking money into this car already...

I just got back from taking it for a ride to go get food and when i got home I checked the fluid it was gone and there is fluid all on the left side so I don't know if the pump is gone bad or what or could I have messed the hose up putting it in but tomorrow I'm just going to let it run and see....

How could I know for sure what is causing the leak becasue this is getting redicilous with all the stuff I am having to fix to get this car in showroom condition I don't got the time or money.....

Does anyone know were I could get a good used or new [CHEAP] power steering pump....

Im in Lansing MI....

Please help any advice or anything else I sure would appreciate that...

I checked my powersteering this morning by jacking the car up and letting someone turn the wheel for 5 minutes and even hold it for the pressure to build in the lines but I did not see a leak..........

So i am thinking that when i filled it up yesterday after installing and draining the fluid I must not have put enough back in since fluid may build up in other places other than the resovior... So could that have been the case and the diaster is probley averted....

Any comments or questions would be highly appreciated.....

I checked my powersteering this morning by jacking the car up and letting someone turn the wheel for 5 minutes and even hold it for the pressure to build in the lines but I did not see a leak..........

So i am thinking that when i filled it up yesterday after installing and draining the fluid I must not have put enough back in since fluid may build up in other places other than the resovior... So could that have been the case and the diaster is probley averted....

Any comments or questions would be highly appreciated.....

There is a good possibility that when you filled it up...there was a lot of air in the lines.

As you drove it, it purged itself of the air, and (of course) the fluid took the place of the air.

I would suggest ... now fill it to the correct level and drive it a few days...keeping a REAL CLOSE EYE on the fluid.

It is very possible that everything is ok now.

I hope so.

Posted Image

Since I have been driving it Today and Yesterday it has did fine since I filled it up with fluid and the steering is tight and responsive with no noises so I think i am good diaster adverted.....Since that line was hard to put on I can't imagine having to pull the engine in these cars.... HATS OFF TO THOSE OF YOU HOW CAN TAKE THE ENGINE OUT OF A 1998 CADILLAC STS......GREAT JOB CADDY Machanics....

Archived