CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Not as much punch today

Cupillac

Well I had just filled up my car and felt a little devilish, so I went down a nice industrial road with some nice corners and 2 straightaways.

When zipping around the corners (cornered awesome) then when I punched that pedal in 3rd, I was expecting a fast shot out of the corner, but It wasnt as powerful as it usually is.

Still I was flying down the road, the power was there, but it just didnt hit as hard.

Any info?

I wonder if she was just full of gas and it was weighing her down.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Today, my car is feeling a little sluggish too but I think it's because of the very high humidity. We had a very heavy thunder storm here yesterday and everything is awful and humid today (but at least the car is spotlessly clean, LOL!!).

I think cars like cold dry air, the colder and dryer, the better.

I don't know if this applies to your situation. Just my own observation.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

It's also quite humid here today, maybe that's it.

I'm also feeling sluggish today, not enough sleep. <_<

LOL

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Actually, rainy days may improve performance as the added moisture helps to increase the compression, if I recall correctly. I also recall hearing about water injection systems to capitalize on that but I don't think they were too successful.

I can empathize with you completely. I too wonder if my ride has lost it's punch or if I'm just used to it. I continually expect to have the hair stand up on my arm but sadly it does not.

Though my buddy says it has some punch compared to his Acura 3.2 ;)

The following is somewhat related to Guru's oxygen info. I thought readers might like its easy style:

Nitrous oxide (N20). When you heat nitrous oxide to about 570 degrees F (~300 C), it splits into oxygen and nitrogen. So the injection of nitrous oxide into an engine means that more oxygen is available during combustion. Because you have more oxygen, you can also inject more fuel, allowing the same engine to produce more power. Nitrous oxide is one of the simplest ways to provide a significant horsepower boost to any gasoline engine.

Nitrous oxide has another effect that improves performance even more. When it vaporizes, nitrous oxide provides a significant cooling effect on the intake air. When you reduce the intake air temperature, you increase the air's density, and this provides even more oxygen inside the cylinder.

The only problem with nitrous oxide is that it is fairly bulky, and the engine needs a lot of it. Like any gas, it takes up a fair amount of space even when compressed into a liquid. A 5-liter engine running at 4,000 rotations per minute (rpm) consumes about 10,000 liters of air every minute (compared to about 0.2 liters of gasoline), so it would take a tremendous amount of nitrous oxide to run a car continuously. Therefore, a car normally carries only a few minutes of nitrous oxide, and the driver uses it very selectively by pushing a button.

Given the above info, I was wondering why liquid oxygen has not been used? Maybe it has been tried already but the first few explosions and fires - dampened the survivor's intrests a bitf?

LOX is easy to get, but you need to have really clean stainless steel tubing to deliver it. A vaporizer of sorts would be required because LOX is about -300F. Storage is a bit tricky because it needs to be in a very insulated steel container and blow off every now and then to auto-refrigerate.

I have used LOX in several industrial-chemical applications without any big problems. Talk about some serious turbo-charging! But then again, we also completed significant engineering and procedural development beforehand.

Want punch ? Get LOX ! :D

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I wonder what temp H2O splits at. I think i have heard about ceramic engines that can take extrem temps and virtualy burn anything as fuel.

Water doesn't really "split". You can remove hydrogen and oxygen from water by the process of Electrolysis.

http://van.hep.uiuc.edu/van/qa/section/Eve...y/961855161.htm

http://van.hep.uiuc.edu/van/qa/section/Eve...20423212409.htm

Mixing two parts of hydrogen with one part of oxygen will make water but you have to apply a flame or spark to the mixture and it creates a very BIG and DANGEROUS explosion.

http://van.hep.uiuc.edu/van/qa/section/Eve...20106192140.htm

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

True electrolisis is one of a few ways to split chemical chains. I thought i remember hearing about not using water to put out extream temp fires (industrial type) because it would just fuel the fire.

Another way to split water

http://www.cheresources.com/watersplitzz.shtml

http://www.enn.com/news/2004-02-06/s_12839.asp

True electrolisis is one of a few ways to split chemical chains. I thought i remember hearing about not using water to put out extream temp fires (industrial type) because it would just fuel the fire.

Another way to split water

http://www.cheresources.com/watersplitzz.shtml

http://www.enn.com/news/2004-02-06/s_12839.asp

One of the most successful methods of putting out fires was a gas known as Halon. It worked by smothering the fire by displacing oxygen in the room. It would also kill anyone in the room because the displaced oxygen would cause suffocation.

Halon was used mostly for computer fires since it would put out the fire without damaging the remaining equipment; there was no residue left behind after the Halon disappeared and this was a good thing when you had to clean up all the electronics after the fire.

Halon was determined to be an "Ozone eater" and therefore, it was quickly removed from the market after it appeared.

Dry chemical fire extinguishers work the same way, suffocation and yes, water should not be used on certain fires not because the water acts as a catalyst and allows the fire to burn harder but because the water would spread the source of the fire around into larger areas; oil floats on water and the oil would end up floating around on top of the water and the flame would be burning on top of the oil, as an example.

Archived