CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air cleaner

tom karen

Went to check air cleaner yesterday and one of the two tabs that lock the top on the air box is broken.

I tried to epoxy it and left it overnight but when I put it together the preassure of trying to close it with the filter in was so much it pulled the epoxy apart.

I doubt a parts yard would bother with me on this.

Tried to search on line with no luck.

Has anyone else had a problem with this? I am afraid that without this fastened down the air may be bypassing the filter.

Will welcome any ideas on how to solve this.

Thank

Come now, you just need to be more creative in your online searches. Lots of junk (and I do mean junk) yards that are dying to make $$$ out there. I find that it helps to call some of these places on the ol Bat phone and talk with a Rocko or Bruno (with names like that it's a sure bet that they'll "find" your part). In the meanwhile seal the box up with a little duct tape if your not into fabricating a custom latch (drill, small bolts, small pipe clamp cut in half, silicone sealant). Let us know what you come up with. And by the way, duct tape now comes in many different colors including clear.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Site-lookup the owners of the K&N's etc. They should be very happy to send parts that are simply taking up space in their garage (unless they already re-installed the original). :D

Poly parts can sometimes be melted back together with a soder gun tip. However, the structural integrity has already been compromised. I'd say to embed a metal pin in the melt, but after all that work (which would look like crap anyway)...

I'd agree with others that any high quality, junkyard (another sensible oxymoron) or a deep web search - has what you need.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

On my last Eldo I noticed one of the locking tabs was broken causing a similar situation to yours... Instead of buying a new airbox, I drilled holes on the edge of the box and lid... Then I used a tie strap on that corner of the box to keep it tight...

When I had to change a filter, I just cut the strap and put a new one on when I finished... It's cheap and keeps things together pretty well...

I figured why bother with a new box, you only open it once or twice a year right???

My airbox is also broken on one of the clips.

I left it for awhile, didnt seem to do be doing any harm then I drilled some small holes and zip tied it like wake suggested.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Went to check air cleaner yesterday and one of the two tabs that lock the top on the air box is broken.

I tried to epoxy it and left it overnight but when I put it together the preassure of trying to close it with the filter in was so much it pulled the epoxy apart.

I doubt a parts yard would bother with me on this.

Tried to search on line with no luck.

Has anyone else had a problem with this? I am afraid that without this fastened down the air may be bypassing the filter.

Will welcome any ideas on how to solve this.

Thank

Tom and Karen, I just used this site and found one for $65......

http://car-part.com/ I have used this search system and it works great!

However given that the plastic sort of becomes brittle from the underhood heat, you may consider buying a new one from the dealer or from brasington, Good Luck, Mike

Like I said earlier, you may want to call some of the junk yards if they have a phone number available. Parts go in and out faster then the web sites can be updated. I found my used rear inboard light housing that way. Site showed a couple but not what i wanted. Called them up and viola they had what i wanted.... just wasn't posted on site yet. Let us know how you make out. Ugh! Now where's my coffee!?!

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

By the way, thanks for the link Mike. Can always use another good parts search engine.

Kger2, yes I love that site! It is pretty cool and you can search regionally to save some shipping. I have purchased door panels, rear struts, seat frames, and bose speakers from this source... have fun, Mike

Archived