CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

We pause today to remember Henry Allingham, who died on Saturday at the age of 113.

He was Britain's oldest man. But we mark his passing because he was one of only three surviving British veterans of World War I. Allingham survived Jutland – the greatest naval engagement of the war. (The Royal Navy lost 14 ships and 6,000 seamen.) He also survived the Somme, where the British Army lost more than 50,000 soldiers on the first day of the battle – July 1, 1916. Between July and November 1916, more than 420,000 British casualties would accrue in an effort that gained about two miles of territory. In total, there were more than a million casualties over the 12-mile front. Of the war, Allingham said little. "I saw too many things I would like to forget, but I will never forget them, I can never forget them."

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I heard about him. Wasn't he the WORLDS oldest man?

In at least one publication I read he was billed as the world's oldest man.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived