CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

display message 'Service Soon'

Ruud

Simultaneously press the OFF & WARMER buttons to enter the diagnostics and read the DTC's. Decipher the DTC's here. http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html. Once in the diagnostic mode use the high fan button to answer yes to the prompts and the low fan to answer no. You can clear the DTC's, but they will just return when the fault is detected again. If you still need help, post the codes & descriptions here.

Simultaneously press the OFF & WARMER buttons to enter the diagnostics and read the DTC's. Decipher the DTC's here. http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html. Once in the diagnostic mode use the high fan button to answer yes to the prompts and the low fan to answer no. You can clear the DTC's, but they will just return when the fault is detected again. If you still need help, post the codes & descriptions here.

Hi Ranger,

I've already cleared all the old codes I had when I bought the car, but there seems to be no option to clear the 'Service Soon' message. Maybe I need an OBD1 device to do so?

Hi Ranger,

I've already cleared all the old codes I had when I bought the car, but there seems to be no option to clear the 'Service Soon' message. Maybe I need an OBD1 device to do so?

It should clear itself if there are no current codes present. Check the codes when the "service engine soon" messages appears. Clearing the codes won't make the current (active faults) go away, only history codes (old faults corrected). When the problem is solved ALL codes will become "history" and WILL go away when clearing the codes.

Just as Ranger said ;)

The only code that is current is B127 (current) Sensor Circuit Problem Parking Brake Release

I don't see what that has to do with a due service :unsure:

Any history codes? It is possible that you have an intermittant condition, currently shown as a history code. Clear the codes and the next time the SES turns on check the codes (even History ones)

Because in some cases (most perhaps?) the system need to recognize a number of "successful"ignition cycles before the SES turns off.

The only code that is current is B127 (current) Sensor Circuit Problem Parking Brake Release

Any history codes? It is possible that you have an intermittant condition, currently shown as a history code. Clear the codes and the next time the SES turns on check the codes (even History ones)

Because in some cases (most perhaps?) the system need to recognize a number of "successful"ignition cycles before the SES turns off.

No history codes. I deleted them weeks ago and they never came back.

I do, sometimes get a 'Low refrigerant' message followed by 'Aircon Compressor Off'.

No history codes. I deleted them weeks ago and they never came back.

I do, sometimes get a 'Low refrigerant' message followed by 'Aircon Compressor Off'.

My mistake! I thought you had the SES (Service engine soon) message. I re-read the post and found you have "Service soon". I believe that this message is activated by your problem with the parking brake release. After all it could be possible that your brakes are applied all the time. Not saying that it is the fact, just explaining why the system warns you :)

Cadillacs doesn't have an "ordinary" dumb counter to tell the driver when to take the vehicle in for service. You only get a warning when something is wrong.

My mistake! I thought you had the SES (Service engine soon) message. I re-read the post and found you have "Service soon". I believe that this message is activated by your problem with the parking brake release. After all it could be possible that your brakes are applied all the time. Not saying that it is the fact, just explaining why the system warns you :)

Cadillacs doesn't have an "ordinary" dumb counter to tell the driver when to take the vehicle in for service. You only get a warning when something is wrong.

Aha, thanks. I thought indeed it was one of those annoying 'Take it to the dealer for a service message' :)

I'm working on the parking brake just now. The pistons in the old calipers did not move in & out much anymore so I have a new set on the way from the US. They should arrive this week, hopefully.

Aha, thanks. I thought indeed it was one of those annoying 'Take it to the dealer for a service message' :)

I'm working on the parking brake just now. The pistons in the old calipers did not move in & out much anymore so I have a new set on the way from the US. They should arrive this week, hopefully.

I guess you have the same setup as I had on my 1988 Eldorado. The parking brake acts with a lever on the rear caliper pistons. To move the pistons in you need to turn the piston ends (the end acting on the brake pads) with a special tool. You can use a clamp around the calipher and piston to have it retract if it moves freely enough, the pressure applied usually makes it retract. Otherwise you could use a pair of pliers that fits good enough in the slots for the pads.

Wish I had a picture :)

I guess the sensor is located at the release mechanism inside the cabin.

I guess you have the same setup as I had on my 1988 Eldorado. The parking brake acts with a lever on the rear caliper pistons. To move the pistons in you need to turn the piston ends (the end acting on the brake pads) with a special tool. You can use a clamp around the calipher and piston to have it retract if it moves freely enough, the pressure applied usually makes it retract. Otherwise you could use a pair of pliers that fits good enough in the slots for the pads.

Wish I had a picture :)

I guess the sensor is located at the release mechanism inside the cabin.

No worries, I've already taken off the old calipers and flung em in the shed:)

The new ones are fully assembled so no hassle there :)

I guess the tricky bit is to adjust them properly so that the parking brake 'bites' enough to pass the annual test yet the pads don't drag

I have driven Cadillacs for the last 35 years and have yet to see a generic "Service Soon" message. Usually it is Service Engine Soon. Not sure what to make of this.

I have driven Cadillacs for the last 35 years and have yet to see a generic "Service Soon" message. Usually it is Service Engine Soon. Not sure what to make of this.

Apologies. I just checked and it is indeed 'Service Engine Soon'. I still fail to see how a parking brake sensor or a low refrigerant level trigger this message. :huh:

Apologies. I just checked and it is indeed 'Service Engine Soon'. I still fail to see how a parking brake sensor or a low refrigerant level trigger this message. :huh:

Hm, since the parking brake release fault is the only fault (except from AC fault) I suppose it triggers the code. If i look at B127 it says "PRNDL321 Sensor Circuit Problem [Park Brake Release]"

Just assuming here but since the PRNDL321 sensor is involved (needs adjustment?) the SES turns on. After all it also "feels" what gear you are selecting!

Hm, since the parking brake release fault is the only fault (except from AC fault) I suppose it triggers the code. If i look at B127 it says "PRNDL321 Sensor Circuit Problem [Park Brake Release]"

Just assuming here but since the PRNDL321 sensor is involved (needs adjustment?) the SES turns on. After all it also "feels" what gear you are selecting!

Could well be the case.

I'll fit the new calipers(when they arrive ) have a look at the sensor and see if the code still returns after that. We'll take it from there.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated:)

Granted, we are talking about a 23 year old car and I have forgotten a lot about them, but I would not expect those codes to trip the MIL either.

:wacko: I must be needing glasses soon I guess.

Right...the correct message I get is : 'Service Soon - Refer to owner's manual'

Of course I do not have an owners manual...yet

:D

I KNEW that I did read about that message in my manual for the Eldorado. From what I can remember "Service engine soon" is only related to emissions. Service soon is for codes requiring attention apart from emission codes.

Check for dirty connections, bent/kinked wiring to the switch and adjustment of the gear selector linkage.

I KNEW that I did read about that message in my manual for the Eldorado. From what I can remember "Service engine soon" is only related to emissions. Service soon is for codes requiring attention apart from emission codes.

Check for dirty connections, bent/kinked wiring to the switch and adjustment of the gear selector linkage.

well..I've had the entire interior stripped incl carpet and insulation had a look at the connections and cables to the gear lever but they visually seem all OK incl the 2 vacuum pipes

well..I've had the entire interior stripped incl carpet and insulation had a look at the connections and cables to the gear lever but they visually seem all OK incl the 2 vacuum pipes

What about the adjustment then? Try to change it and remember the original position (marks or turns)

What about the adjustment then? Try to change it and remember the original position (marks or turns)

hmm..don't recall seeing anything that was adjustable :huh: ..I'll better get me glasses out again. :)

I can't remember but I think I recall a threaded rod in the engine compartment attached to a lever, that would be the adjustment. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. This is just qualified guessing :)

I can't remember but I think I recall a threaded rod in the engine compartment attached to a lever, that would be the adjustment. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. This is just qualified guessing :)

OK..Calipers arrived today :) Fitted them as well.

It now seems almost impossible to press the P.brake pedal :huh:

I know the cables are moving freely as I had to pull em out to fit them over the lever on the caliper. They do not seem too tight either because the lever is resting against the caliper when the P.brake is released. I'm puzzled

AS for the gear adjustment...I have not had a chance yet to look in the engine compartment but I do notice that I have to move the gear lever slightly further than the P, R, N, D and so on in order to engage them.

Forgot to mention I'm also getting code E0126 - SHORTED THROTTLE SWITCH CIRCUIT :unsure:

Did you turn the pistons in before installing the pads?

Yes, I did and after the caliper was fitted I moved the lever a few times without the cable attached to adjust it. The P. brake was working fine when I pulled the lever on the caliper with my hand.

Archived