CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AC-Delco Durastop Ceramic Pads

JasonA

I submitted an email inquiry to gmpartsdirect.com about the Durastop ceramic pads for the '97 Seville (and same for many other years too, I'd suspect).

P/N: 88909661

GM List: $128.72

Their Price: $64.36

I went through a mock purchase, and shipping to my door was $13, plus $5 sales tax for me, a North Carolina resident. A little over 80 bucks to my door, for $128 pads. I checked with my local (unfriendly) Cadillac parts guy on Friday and he offered to sell me a set of AC-Delco pads for $88. I asked if they were ceramic, and he said, "uh, they're AC, that's all we sell." Okay, guess not. :rolleyes:

I'm going to order the ceramic pads from gmpartsdirect.com, and hopefully, slip the rotors off to get them cut without even having to remove the caliper support! :lol:

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I had thet first brake job done my 96 STS 42000 miles, was told that the original factory bads were ceramic. I had them put ceramic back on, have had no complaints with dust or performance. I would like to change the roters though, to the "quickstop" not sure though of cross drilled or sloted.

If I do indeed change the roters should I start with new pads as well or can I use same pads?

sebring06RTP.jpg

If I do indeed change the roters should I start with new pads as well or can I use same pads?

If I had just put the pads on, I'd just scuff them up good with a medium grit abrasive paper and run 'em. If they've got 20 or 30 thousand miles on them already, and they'd need to be done in another year anyway, I'd go ahead and change 'em.

Unfortunately (for the Seville), I discovered a grinding during stopping with my Nissan truck, and although the pad life looks good, the rotors are well worn, and I'm not sure how long it's been since the bearings have been greased, etc. It looks like I'm going to be doing new rotors and pads on the truck first...and the Caddy will have to wait for a while (since the pads aren't even close to being an emergency on that car). :(

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived