CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Low refrigerant/clutch won't engage

HI ALL!!

This forum has been extremely helpful in the past and I am hoping yall can help me once again. I got the "low refrigerant compressor off" message so I tried to add freon but it would not take any. So I got on here and searched the forum and found out I needed to clear codes or disconnect the battery. Well I did both. First I cleared all the codes, hooked the freon up, started the car, but the clutch never did engage nor did it give me the "low freon" message. I then disconnected the battery for about 30-45 minutes and tried again but it still would not engage. Now I can run the AC on AUTO and it won't give me the "low refrig" message and it doesn't switch to ECON and the clutch never engages. When I check the codes it shows that there are none. I know it needs freon because it is blowing warm air. The compressor and clutch were replaced last year so they should still be good, I just have a leak that I haven't found and the car has set a couple of months without me adding freon so now it is too low. Any ideas or suggestions?

Check to see if you have voltage at the clutch coil. If you do not, look for a blown fuse or a bad compressor relay. If there is voltage at the clutch coil, check the clutch air gap. It should be .020-.030". Tap the clutch face with a rubber mallet, if it engages, the air gap is too wide.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Its tricky cause the clutch wont engage if its low on freon. In the past on my 2001 deville I removed the #32 relay from the engine fuse box My relay is a OMRON 8567, the fuse cover will read A/C clu. Turn on the A/C dash switch to the lowest temp and fan blowing Take a paper clip and jump the corresponding numbers from the relay 87 - 30 on the fuse box relay socket, you should hear your clutch engage, connect your can a freon and fill. Remove the jumper and put back the relay. Your a/c should now engage on its own. If not you have other problems . DO NOT LEAVE THE JUMPER IN, THIS WILL DEPLETE THE BATTERY JUST LIKE LEAVING A LIGHT ON AFTER TURNING OFF YOUR CAR.

If anyone disagrees with this procedure please reply...

If you get the refrigerant hooked up and the air burped from the charging hose, clear the code and then start the car, the system should pull in the refrigerant before setting the code. If you decide to jump the relay contacts, be absolutely sure you know how to read a relay diagram andjumper the correct pins, otherwise you could cause some damage.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived