CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I sprayed electrical contact cleaner in my HVAC

Sprayed Electrical Contact Cleaner around the buttons on my A/C switches, the first time they seemed to work a little better. Sprayed liberally again, now it seems the buttons have melted internally :unsure: No push pull action...argh. Looks like the buttons are shot. Any good sources for a replacement panel, cheap?? :blink:

I have been chasing a computer problem, wherein the system kicks into defroster mode, "service engine" light kicks on, and fuel data info, and a/c digital info, as well as "engine coolant temp" blanks out simultaneaously to read "----" on all readouts. Scrolling through the info button, System Voltage, and Oil Life Index read OK though. Once the computer puts it in this mode, hitting the "Off" button on the A/C or any other button is useless. It stays in this mode until it decides to go to a normal mode, no pattern. Could be all day, or it may kick out after 45 minutes. It defaults to 75 degrees, blows on high defrost, and stays there. IF I catch it first thing in the morning, I can engage the A/C system, i.e. "Auto" button, and if the A/C system kicks in, it will be fine all dayif I don't change it. For a moment I got a glimmer of an idea that it was the "control panel/button" issue. I have used this cleaner on many automotive switches with good luck in the past. I am aware of the various computers, and that they are tied together. I do not know the locations of these, I feel it is a dirty connection issue somewhere, but do not know where to start looking. My Clymer brand service manual sucks...any help from the best experts on the Internet would be appreciated. '92 Seville STS, 4.9L, 147k miles.I have taken care of many issues on this puppy, this is really the last "biggie" remaining to fix...Thanks so much guys...

I'll try the hair dryer trick...can't get codes now as buttons are melted stuck...I'll work with it some in a few minutes...Thanks

What the heck did you spray that melted the buttons? I dont think that electrical contact cleaner can do that, it could be that the interior is wet and the buttons are bogged down in wetness and inoperable, this happened to me last week, with my son's computer monitor the picture adjustment buttons were dirty and when I sprayed them they stuck in. I would not start the car until you free them up again, as they are ineffect stuck ON.... and you may do damage to the components they control. Try pulling the unit and getting a clearer view to use the dryer. When I used the dryer on my sons monitor they all freed up again.

You can do damage if you over spray and short the electrical connections so be careful.. Mike

I forgot what code I got on my 90Seville (4.5), but the CEL would come on and the AC would go to defrost and I think, the compressor would turn off. Anyway, after doing all the troubleshooting, it led me to a bad computer. I replaced it for about 100.00 and all has been well since.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

I think that electrical contact cleaner will melt some types of plastic. Seems to me I have even seen a warning on the can that says to test it first.

I think that electrical contact cleaner will melt some types of plastic. Seems to me I have even seen a warning on the can that says to test it first.

I'm glad I still have my old can of MEMOREX DuPont Freon TF. It's some kind of liquified Freon that's used for cleaning the read/write heads on computer tape drives and capstans but I've used it on a lot of electrical stuff too. It's perfect and doesn't damage anything. Unfortunately, I can't find it anymore and I've only got about 1/2 can left. :(

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I'm glad I still have my old can of MEMOREX DuPont Freon TF. It's some kind of liquified Freon that's used for cleaning the read/write heads on computer tape drives and capstans but I've used it on a lot of electrical stuff too. It's perfect and doesn't damage anything. Unfortunately, I can't find it anymore and I've only got about 1/2 can left. :(

Sounds harmful to the environment to me! :D

Ok Checked the buttons this morning, fiddled with 'em a little they seem to be fine now...whew!! :P Now I still have the intermittent computer issue. I am going to start a new topic on it, to seperate from the button problem...thanks guys! :D

Yeah, it could be, in large amounts, I would imagine. But certainly not when soaked on a Q-Tip and used to clean tape heads and capstans. The bottle has a special seal on it which stops evaporation. I've had it since 1979.

A substitute for cleaning electrical parts is research grade Methanol or Acetone but the Acetone WILL melt most plastics.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Yeah, it could be, in large amounts, I would imagine. But certainly not when soaked on a Q-Tip and used to clean tape heads and capstans. The bottle has a special seal on it which stops evaporation. I've had it since 1979.

A substitute for cleaning electrical parts is research grade Methanol or Acetone but the Acetone WILL melt most plastics.

Just kidding you! LOL... I am trying to figure out how I am going to discharge my AC when I replace my compressor without letting it out into the atmosphere.. Maybe I will have the place that will recharge is reclaim it before I take it apart.. Mike

"I am trying to figure out how I am going to discharge my AC when I replace my compressor without letting it out into the atmosphere.. Maybe I will have the place that will recharge is reclaim it before I take it apart".. Mike

Mike,

I think that is the ONLYway you are going to do it without venting to atmosphere. Having said that, isn't that the reason they went to R134a? I thought that it was "environmentaly friendly".

If it is R-134a, just loosen a fitting and let it blow out...I just did mine yesterday as I over charged itm cools great now.

Just an update on the electrical cleaner on the switches delima, they work great now, and feel "lubricated" with a nice soft touch... now if I can only find that peskey A/C computer location... :wacko:

now if I can only find that peskey A/C computer location... :wacko:

If your talking about the programmer, I think it is back behind the glovebox somewhere.

Archived