CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1960 caddy electrical problems

I have a 1960 Cadillac Sedan Deville 390Cui V8.

For some unknown reason it died on me 5 minutes from home after a run of about 50 miles. It just died and coasted to a stop. I tried starting it but there wasn’t enough power in the battery and it would not start from a power booster. I ended up getting it jump started from a relative’s land rover which got me home.

The relay is new the coil is new, the generator has had new bushes and been checked to make sure it’s giving out enough power, I replaced a wire from the coil to the key switch which had burned out last year. I’ve replaced the spark plugs and leads.

I had a second battery with me as I was unsure if the battery was faulty when I went to the show as it was iffy then but I thought it may be a dud battery. It also died on me at the show so I put the other battery on and this is when it died on the way home. Something is draining the battery but I have hit a dead end as to what it might be.

I have just tested the charge too, it registers 12V when battery first put on from re-charge. Drops to 8 when starting then goes back up to 12 and very very slowly gains so it looks like it's not charging the battery quick enough to cope with what's going out over time but the gen light goes out ?????

Any help on this would be gratefully welcome.

Do you think I should scrap the Generator and re-place with an Alternator? trouble is I've heard you have to mess about with the wiring and the brackets don't match? as I live in the UK

It's not easy to take it to a supplier and get them to match everything up.

HELP??????

It sounds to me like chronic tired battery from not being driven enough. There are little things, like the clock and such, that will eventually drain the battery. Also, I would look for something like a visor lamp, glove compartment lamp, boot lamp, or bonnet lamp that isn't going out when it should. I would get a trickle charger and keep the car on it when you aren't driving it. Look for "battery maintainers" at your auto parts store.

The fact that you had a wire burn out is a warning. Unless the short was in the wire itself, you may have an exposed wire somewhere in the ignition circuit that is shorting out occasionally. I would look for that too.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Hi Jim.

thanks for replying.

I've Looked at all the lamps previously and they where Ok. The clock has never worked, I even tried disconnecting the wires and taping them up but this didn't work. Can't trickle charge as I don't have a garage :(

Checked the other wires connected to the ignition when I replaced the burned out wire and taped up these as extra precaution on shorting against each other or anything else.

I have replaced the relay too but nothing seems to work.

Your right it don't get as much use as I'd like but that's the rubbish UK weather for you, especially the last 2 years. I do take the battery off after using it and re-charge it regularly so it's fully charged when put back on again.

Seriously thinking of getting an Alternator to replace the gen and relay.

cheers.

If your car isn't garaged, there are two obvious options: a solar battery charger (lock it inside, put the solar panel against a south-facing window, and plug it in the cigarette lighter -- if it isn't lighted when the ignition is off!), and an extension cord.

Regular battery tenders usually have a pigtail that is permanently hooked to the battery with a connector that you plug into the tender when you park the car. The cheaper ones aren't weatherproof so you need to keep it under the hood and run the extension cord from the house. If you do this with a regular extension cord, you are done. I found one that has a 12 Volt extension card so you keep the tender in the garage and run the cord out to the car.

I found some battery tenders at J C Whitney; click here. and scroll down. One of them has a 25-foot 12 Volt extension cord for $11.

I did a search for "battery tender" and turned to too many good links to go through. You can almost certainly find a solution for your problem yourself in there somewhere because your problem is really pretty common, and there is lots of market for battery tenders for cars parked outside. Click here.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 2 months later...

A small, mobile, tool caddy is provided, characterized by having an on-board generator so that the power tools carried in the caddy can be operated anywhere. The caddy comprises a wheeled frame with some type of superstructure which will hold the power tools and hand tools needed in a particular profession, with the preferred or illustrated embodiment being a utility box mounted in the frame. The utility box has tool mounting brackets on its sides, front, and top, and also mounts a collapsible cloth refust bag just behind the utility box.

voiture simulation de credit immobilier en ligne - Simulation credit immobilier en ligne. L’Internet a rendu encore plus facile d’obtenir de l’aide pour trouver le credit immobilier.

• 2 weeks later...

The utility box has tool mounting brackets on its sides, front, and top, and also mounts a collapsible cloth refust bag just behind the utility box.

proprietaire simulation rachat credit immobilier consommation - demander un rachat de crédit, faites une simulation rachat de credit en ligne.proprietaire simulation rachat credit immobilier consommation

Archived