CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

78 caddy coupe deville carbed ignition lock cylinder remove

78 caddy coupe deville carbed ignition lock cylinder removal i need help with it is nothing like my 1979 elcamino GM product I pulled the steering wheel removed the telescopic wheel locker and then the nut holding it all on and now i am at the pressure plate there is something weird holding it on can anyone help me here??

steering.jpg

I have not seen anything like the plastic piece that is over the lock plate. Are you able to remove the plastic piece without damaging it? Maybe a dealer could give you some advice?

Once you remove the plastic piece, you'll need a lock plate compressor to push down the lock plate enough to remove the circlip retainer. Then unplug the harness at the base of the column and remove the turn signal canceling cam. Then remove the turn signal switch which is the same diameter as the steering column. I think you also need to remove the hazzard switch and then the lock cylinder will be visible and retained by one screw.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have not seen anything like the plastic piece that is over the lock plate. Are you able to remove the plastic piece without damaging it? Maybe a dealer could give you some advice?

Once you remove the plastic piece, you'll need a lock plate compressor to push down the lock plate enough to remove the circlip retainer. Then unplug the harness at the base of the column and remove the turn signal canceling cam. Then remove the turn signal switch which is the same diameter as the steering column. I think you also need to remove the hazzard switch and then the lock cylinder will be visible and retained by one screw.

i asked around about it . it is a part of the horn and it goes bad allot and so i had to brake it off allot it was dry rotted and so i broke it off and took it all off installed the new lock cylinder and now i gotta put it back all together i wish all data still did cars from the 70's but they only go down to 82 i gotta put it back together and i think i remember how to put it all back i gotta see

• 4 months later...
78 caddy coupe deville carbed ignition lock cylinder removal i need help with it is nothing like my 1979 elcamino GM product I pulled the steering wheel removed the telescopic wheel locker and then the nut holding it all on and now i am at the pressure plate there is something weird holding it on can anyone help me here??

steering.jpg

Yeah, I have never encountered anything like that before. What happened?Did you consult a dealer?

almost all the dealers around here that new anything about that went under so i had to go talk to a guy that i find very useful and i bring my 87 mustang too to find that plastic purpose . I did the whole thing wasn't too hard the thing that sucked is that i put it all back together and when i would turn the wheel horn kept going off and it was because that plastic piece is like a spacer for the wheel and the horn so that it wont conduct and go off when being turned .

just drove it today has just about 82k on the whole car. if you want a picture let me know.

Archived