CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 STS acceleration and suspension

Hi everybody! (Hi Dr. Nick!)

I just bought a 99 sts with 127K miles. I am learning a lot about this car as I go, but I was hoping to get some help on a few puzzlements that have popped up.

First, Sometimes it will have decent low end power and will at least squeal the tires and chirp going into second, and sometimes it wont. Mostly it feels really lacking on the low end. The Traction control is on. It will almost feel like a turbo kicks in at a higher rpm. (Keep in mind I live at 6,000 ft above the ocean.) I was wondering if the "turbo lag" is normal, or if it's time for a tune up and TB cleaning.

Second, I know that a passive suspension is much less expensive. But, all the literature makes such a big deal of the active suspension. If the price were the same which would you prefer?

Thank's so much for any help.

If it has never had plugs and wires changed, it probably need it.

It is 10 years old.

The manual on my 2006 says to clean the throttle body every 30,000 miles.

If it takes off good SOMETIMES and does NOT take off good at other times, I would be looking at the codes.

See if you have a TCC code.

You say traction control is "ON"...do you mean that the LIGHT is "ON"?

If the TC light is on, or if you have a TCC code, I think it will take off in SECOND GEAR, not FIRST GEAR.

That would account for the difference in the take off feeling.

My 2006 also has the TURBO KICKED IN feeling at higher RPMS. :D:D I love it.

Mine runs pretty good all the time, but when it hits a little over 3000 RPMS...then it GOES. :D:D

Posted Image

Second, I know that a passive suspension is much less expensive. But, all the literature makes such a big deal of the active suspension. If the price were the same which would you prefer?

Thank's so much for any help.

I think that most of the people here, replace the active suspension with passive when it goes bad.

The active parts are insanely expensive.

But to answer your question...finally...The ACTIVE suspension is GREAT.

It adjusts to the road and to your style of driving at the moment.

I have the Magnetic Ride Suspension on my DTS. Similar to yours but not EXACTLY the same.

It is the nicest suspension I have ever had an ANY car.

It is smoother on really rough roads than the standard suspension and gives a pretty good ride on nice smooth interstates also.

If they were ANYWHERE CLOSE to the same price....NO QUESTION...go with the Active Suspension.

Posted Image

Thank you. That clears up quite a bit. And by-the-way, according to the Caddy shop here when the tracion control is off it will start in second gear. I know! It sounds backwards, doesn't it!

Thank you. That clears up quite a bit. And by-the-way, according to the Caddy shop here when the tracion control is off it will start in second gear. I know! It sounds backwards, doesn't it!

Right..TC OFF = 2nd gear starts.

But if there are certain codes set, it will also take off in 2nd.

That was what I was asking in the earlier post.

If you are a SPIRITED driver... :D:D

If you ever get a chance, drive two cars that are just alike, except for the active suspension and you will see the big difference. It is remarkable.

Grandpa type drivers will not notice much difference. :D:D

Posted Image

Archived