CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Update: Transmission doesn't 'shift'

Bentham

Hi there, I topped off the transmission fluid as it was a little low and it still has the same problem :(

But it almost sounds like a computer problem or something to me because:

Every morning, go out start it. - Shift into gear and it acts as though its in NEUTRAL. this happens with ANY gear, not just with reverse as I thought.

Shut it off, and turn it RIGHT back on, not even waiting 10 seconds and it shifts right into any gear!!

I start it up about 4-10 times during the day and it never 'thinks it's in neutral'

So what do I do now?

Thanks for your tips Jadock

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

I don't know to what extent the transmission is controlled my electronics. For example, there's obviously a mechanical linkage between the shifter and the transmission. There's also a gear selection switch, which tells the computer what gear the selector is in. Let's say that switch is bad, and the computer thinks you're in Park, but you've shifted into Drive. Will the transmission still "go into" Drive? Or does the computer override the shifter, and keep the transmission in Park (or Neutral)?

I don't know the answer to that question. But I seem to agree -- that if you can remedy the problem simply by turning the car on and off, it seems like the problem isn't mechanical or hydraulic with the transmission.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The shifter will go into any gear.. but it will 'act' as though it's in neutral.. Thanks for your input so far... lets hope its something simple :)

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

Happened again this morning -- :(

I've been reading some of the archives and while in REVERSE, I stepped on the gas to rev it up and it seemed to slip into gear. Does this mean its the input clutch sprag assembly?

talked about in this post:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2104

note: I do have an ABS light on - intermittently.. not sure if thats related

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

Archived