CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need Help

Hello

I am looking for some expert advice from you all in this group. I recently changed the belt tensioner and as the car was in park I reved the engine to about 2500/3000 rpm and noticed a noise that sounds like a backfire but the car lunges forward slightly. I tried again this time sitting in the car with my foot on the brake and did the same procedure, again the noise this time felt through the shifter, hense thinking that it's a tranny issue. I road tested the car and all seems fine when driving although I cannot put the car into low gear. If the lever is in low the transmission will shift into second.

My question is can this be a shifter cable/linkage adjustment?

If so what would be the procedure to adjust these components?

Thanks in advance for any help

Frank

Welcome to the group, I see you joined today!

First of all the belt tensioner would not have anything to do with the symptom you are describing, if that is why you replaced the tensioner.

However, I had the same problem that you are experiencing in a 91 Seville. When you hear the noise the car lunges forward slightly. It doesnt happen when the car is in gear only when the car is in park or neutral. That noise really bothered the hell out of me and I considered it was the flywheel, parking pawl, or a loose convertor but it was not. I just tried not to rev the engine that high to avoid it. I had full function and all gears until it just spontaineously broke at speed (55 MPH).

You problem is with a part in the tranny called a input clutch sprag assembly, if I recall. When mine finally went it destroyed a few parts. I think there are rollers in the clutch that wear with flat spots that cause this. When I got the tranny rebuilt I never had the noise again. Funny when I spoke to the tranny shop they knew exactly what the noise was (so did bbobynski). Be very careful who you let rebuild your tranny, the people I had rebuild my tranny totally F'd up my car, I got it back with a missing bell housing bolt, leaking oil cooler lines, mis-routed electrical cables across sharp edges, and a bent splash brake rotoe shield AND the shop was recommended by local caddy dealer!!! This is the kind of problem that you can either let go or live with, but be advised that it could spontaneously go. You are experiencing function problems (no LOW) so I would be wary taking it far from home until you get it fixed. By the way, its not a backfire, you are hearing, but it sounds like it is. It cost me $1800 to rebuild my tranny, Good Luck, Mike

By the way, i credit the rebuilder for the eventual death of my car, I got a hard short that I am sure was related to the tranny R&R, that knocked out the fusible link to the cooling fans, ac compressor, and horns. By the way, I had the noise from 56,000 miles to 110,000 miles before the tranny finally went out! Mike

My '92 Seville STS did the same thing one evening, I was revving it up in park, checking something and I heard a noise and felt a lunge, scarry...mine has 146k miles. My tranny at about 110k, developed a problem wherein you put it in gear, it would not move forward until you revved it up to say 2500-3000 then it would snag into gear. Took it to a friend who is the best tranny guy in town, he showed me on a diagram some" pawl ratchet dohickey", said it needed a tranny, then I remembered the best stuff in the world for a tranny, K&W Trans-X. Blue can from most auto parts houses, popped in a quart, and viola, started shifting perfectly within 5 miles of driving... still going great at 147k miles. Feels solid...try it, it's 6-7 bucks or so, it smells like lacquer thinner, it really cleans the crap out. You might run it 200 or 300 miles, then drain and flush. But I would install a can in the refilled tranny as well...I just picked up a '90 Crown Vic for my neice, 97k miles, tranny shifted like crap, popped a can in, drove across town 30 miles, shiftes like a baby's butt now...did the same thing to my '99 Deville, and '98 Z-71. Try it, it is great stuff....

i have nothing useful to add to this except, LMFAO

I'm glad you think it's funny!?!?

Thanks to all for your help with this and I will surely take the advice given and not really knowing how long this problem has been there (don't usually rev engine in park/neutral) and I hope that the tranny holds together for a while.

She has 312,000KM and is babied all the time. And after owning a 70 442 W30 it's not my idea of a race car but a sweet comfortable ride.

Thanks again to all for your help

Frank

hey man, it was funny. but i wasnt laughing at you.

hope you get her fixed and running the way you want

i've seen some rebuilt 4T80-E transmissions for around 1,200.

Id have mine rebuilt at cadillac though, or atleast buy the parts myself to make sure those shoft solinods and transaxle pulley are up to date on the TSB's

i'm guilty of "checking it out" too.. but i think i'll stop now

And after owning a 70 442 W30 it's not my idea of a race car but a sweet comfortable ride.

>

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived