CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

20" wheels on the sts

heres another question, Im sure its a dummy, I have an offer on 20" chrome wheels for my sts and i was wondering if the brakes will be strong enough to stop 20" wheels, or if i have to upgrade them, Im sure the best will be an upgrade, but that will be another 1500 - 2000$ as well.

Someone with experience with 20" wheels on their sts with the oem brakes???

regards

henrik

Sweden

I roll 20's on my sts, I would think it would be best to upgrade the brakes, but mine have been just fine so far. seem to stop just as fast, doest not seem to be wearing anything out any faster etc. etc.

I really only drive mine on weekends though, not a daily driver

basicly i only drive the car by summer, no everyday, but quite often, but I was offered a deal on wheels spinners and dustcover and tires for about 1400$ the wheels have a few months to the name, but have no dents scratches and stuff, I just dont wanna bust the brakes on the car, since I also have an offer for vault chrome wheels for 900$

regards

henrik

Sweden

Coming to a dead stop quickly with 20 inch wheel is possible in an STS but not recommended with stock brakes. The car come with only single piston calipers in the front and the additional rotating mass of the larger rims will make it harder to stop as fast. Not to mention that you will be more likely to prematurely wear out the brake pads due to the increased force required to stop the car. If you are looking to upgrade, Baer Brakes makes a nice conversion kit for Cadillacs. There is a link somewhere on the caddy info home site. ;)

I have a 98 STS with 20" Wheels. Stock brakes are fine for city driving and "responsible driving". But if you are racing someone :) and doing over a 100mph and need to do an emergency slowdown/stop, your brakes WILL fade. It happen to me and I had to use 2 feet on the brake pedal to slow down.!!!! An inexpensive upgrade would be just to go with cross drilled and slotted rotors from Tirerack. I have those for the front. I had rears custom cross drilled but those just seem to be for looks. The front ones are the most important. They made a huge difference and don't seem to fade at all. When facing the same scenario, rather than fading you'll just end up hearing a whirring sound as though the rotors are cutting into the pads.

If 225-60-16 = 26.6" Dia. and 185-45-20 = 26.6" Dia., I don't know if the pads/calipers would "know" what size the wheels are. If the "dubs" are larger than 26.6", they wouldn't have the same mechanical "leverage"...

rek

It's the weight. A metal wheel is heavier than a rubber sidewall. The rotational mass does cause more leverage on the engine/brakes, and will make it harder to both accelerate and stop.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived