CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine Problems

BHOILAND21

I live in North Dakota and it has been -30F, yes 30 degrees below zero fahrenheit! After letting my car warm up properly, I had driven approximately 2 miles (40 MPH) and WHAM- it sounded like I drove over something, like a rabbit. But I didn't, the engine just stopped and I coasted to a stand still. I tried to start my car, but the engine just spun without firing. It also seemed like there was no compression as the engine turned. WHAT HAPPENED?? Timing chain? If so, what other damage could there be? What should I do?

Sorry to hear that. Not sure of any helpful things to say, other than take it to a mechanic. Trying to think of simple things that involve loud bangs and are easily fixed but none come to mind.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I had driving approximately 2 miles (40 MPH) and WHAM- it sounded like I drove over something, like a rabbit. 

Sounds like them North Dakota wabbits are werry, werry pesky if there is a 'WHAM' when you hit one. Most other places its just 'thump-thump'. I always wondered if that was why disney named that rabbit 'Thumper'... Just a thought.... :rolleyes:

Wow, not to make light of your situation. I have been trying to fathom what could account for your symptoms. This engine is an interference fit, ie if the cams don't turn there should be contact between the pistons and the valves. I had a valve drop into the cylinder at highway speed in a peugeot 505td many years ago and of course that prevented the engine from spinning rather abruptly. Of course I had to rebuild the thing. Not a good option, I understand with the northstar.

But your's spun freely. Please post what you find. We hope it is not as bad as it sounds. Somethings potentially bad things turn out to have simple explanations.

And hopefully you didn't have to walk 2 miles in that temp to get home...

How long do you let your car sit and idl during warm up. This is one of the worst things you can do in cold weather or any other time. The car needs to turn water pump at a high rate to ciculate water to open thermostat. After starting car, let warm up for just a short time , and then drive easy. It sounds like you over heated and blew a head gasket. Please let me know, good luck

Archived