CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'94 Eldo Caliper ?

Ion

Loosen them and the caliper can be removed for brake servicing, etc. They don't have to be pulled out to remove the caliper--just loosen.

Nice ETC!

Ranger...I just replaced them a couple years ago and they dont attach them to the mounts. MAC...are you 100%

sure? I've had them backed off about halfway in an effort to stop a rotational squeaking since I replaced them, but it didn't work. It did result in a tighter pedal, which was nice. If you know that leaving the allen's backed off halfway could conclusively be dangerous, PLEASE let me know!

Oh...and thanks for the kudos on my customization!

Ranger...I just replaced them a couple years ago and they dont attach them to the mounts. MAC...are you 100%

sure? I've had them backed off about halfway in an effort to stop a rotational squeaking since I replaced them, but it didn't work. It did result in a tighter pedal, which was nice. If you know that leaving the allen's backed off halfway could conclusively be dangerous, PLEASE let me know!

I'm looking at GM's official Service Manual (pg. 5B1-2) and the only Allen related bolts you could be referring to are the Mounting Bolts. If you completely loosen those bolts you will find that you will be able to remove the caliper itself with the brakes still attached. You may need a screw driver to pry the housing loose, but it will nevertheless come off. Those bolts are to be torqued to 38 lb. ft. Again, this is the info. given in GM's Service Manual. In other words, backing out the caliper Mounting Bolts can be dangerous if they should vibrate loose and cause the caliper to disengage!

If you're experiencing problems with brake squeaking/squealing then the problem lies with the brakes and/or discs. As you are probably aware, squealing brakes can be a sign that it's time to replace them. Otherwise, you may simply have some poor quality brakes or perhaps the discs need to be turned or replaced.

Also, how are the sliders/sleeves, which allow the caliper to adjust automatically as the brakes wear? If a sleeve is seized then the caliper will not adjust properly and eventually brake performance will suffer. I just cleaned out the sleeve bores of the right caliper after removing the rubber bushings and there was enough rust under one of them to interfere with caliper adjustment. It sounds like you need to do a thorough check of the calipers (both front and back) to make sure they are operating properly. Additionally, if you're experiencing a soft or spongy brake pedal then you may have air in the line or caliper.

But by no means back out the caliper Mounting Bolts!

Thanks for the info!

I'm looking at GM's official Service Manual (pg. 5B1-2) and the only Allen related bolts you could be referring to are the Mounting Bolts. If you completely loosen those bolts you will find that you will be able to remove the caliper itself with the brakes still attached. It make take the use of a screw driver to pry the housing loose, but it will nevertheless come off. Those bolts are to be torqued to 38 lb. ft. Again, this is the info. given in GM's Service Manual. In other words, backing out the caliper Mounting Bolts can be dangerous if they should vibrate loose and cause the caliper to disengage!

If you're experiencing problems with brake squeaking/squealing then the problem lies with the brakes and/or discs. As you are probably aware, squealing brakes can be a sign that it's time to replace them. Otherwise, you may simply have some poor quality brakes or perhaps the discs need to be turned or replaced.

Also, how are the sliders/sleeves, which allow the caliper to adjust automatically as the brakes wear? If a sleeve is seized then the caliper will not adjust properly and eventually brake performance will suffer. I just cleaned out the sleeve bores of the right caliper after removing the rubber bushings and there was enough rust under one of them to interfere with caliper adjustment. It sounds like you need to do a thorough check of the calipers (both front and back) to make sure the are operating properly. Additionally, if you're experiencing a soft or spongy brake pedal then you may have air in the line or caliper.

But by no means back out the caliper Mounting Bolts!

Archived