CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wheels Help!!

JIMDTS

Does anyone happen to know the difference between After market wheels vs. OEM for Cadillac's Especially the chrome 01 DTS wheels???

My insurance adjuster tells me it's the same wheels but it just does not come in a box marked gm that's the only difference which I find hard to believe. Any thoughts or does any know the difference??

Thanks

Jim

I'm guessing he's trying to purchase them from a supplier of GM, or maybe even OE knock-offs. Cadillac wheels were stolen; I'd insist on Cadillac wheels as replacements. You never know about the durability of aftermarket wheels, whether the chrome will retain its luster/shine, etc. There's usually one reason one brand (his) is much cheaper than OE...low quality. Ask him what brand, specifically, they are.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hi Jason

I'm sure you are rite from what I understand there is a Chinese replica that is identical in style to the wheels I had the DTS style the style from 00 to 02. That's probably what the adjuster is trying to stick me with which I will not accept. I want OEM period. So tomorrow will be interesting for sure. He's Trying to tell me that the after market are the same except the box does not say gm on it. I bet the wheel does not have GM or a GM part number stamped on them which from what I understand it's a real real low quality wheel and they rust real fast but they look like originals.. So far nothing done on my car it's at the dealer waiting on the insurance company. So in the morning I'll be making some calls..

Thanks

Jim

When everything is finished to your satisfaction I would be looking for another insurance company. I guess you are not suppose to know the difference between oem products and aftermarket products.

Seems self explanitory to me

Peace ByStorm

Hi ByStorm

I hear you on looking elsewhere in the near future for an insurance co. The adjuster I have is a real A--Hole which in the morning I will contact his boss about these issues. It is turning out to be a whole bunch of BS..with getting my wheels ripped off and the damage repaired is an interesting experience..to say the least.I just can't believe the guy is trying to pull this BS. The parts are not that high of a cost in the big picture of things..

Jim

There is a set on Ebay. I am not familiar with your wheels value, so I don't know if this is high or not. If it looks right suggest your insurance agent bid on them.

-George

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=43957

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Hi George

VBG I actually went to look at those wheels and tires today..That place is about 10 miles from my house so I ducked in there on my way home.They are very nice and in great shape but not the same wheels as mine but very close. I also found a set of mint OEM wheels that are the style I had for $800 for the set but no tires..

The OEM new are not that much about $615 per wheel and that's retail.which I,m sure the ins. don't pay that Don't know how much of a discount they get but I'm sure it pretty good.

Cheers

Jim

Are you paying insurance premiums based on car w/oddball parts which lowers its value or are your premiums based on an OEM veh.?

Dont know where you live but in MI you dont have to accept knock off parts. Tell the dude that the correct parts are more important to you than a quick settelment and you will do what you have to, to get the OEM parts. Ask him to show you where in the policy it says you have to use oddball parts. (Usually nowhere) All you want is what you have paid for.

Hi Bill K

I sure would like to find the law where it states that you don't have to accept aftermarket parts it would Help I,m hunting the net now it shows that michigan has no anti steering laws or maybe it's another law that applies..so far no luck If anyone knows if it's a law Please point me to it..It would save some hassles It appears I may have to contact my legal beagle about this..

Thanks

Jim

As another example, the Insurance Information Institute's March 1999 report, "Where the Auto Insurance Premium Dollar Goes," says that it would cost $72,000 to totally repair a 1997 Ford Taurus GL with OEM parts. The Taurus retails for around $19,000

thought it might be useful.

http://www.execautobody.com/oemvsam.htm

intersting figures

Hi Caddyshack 24 & ByStorm

Thanks for the link

I'll mention the ins. co at a later date I think I have an adjuster who is an a-- not the company but time will tell I can't believe they would pull this BS on a set of wheels...

Welcome DTS,

Sucks to be you man, first you get your wheels stolen from your own driveway!

then the insurance company wants to d!ck you around with some inferioir product

i dont know how i would handle it, lotsa yellling comes to mind.. i have a few arguements and a few points you might use..

1. i dont tap into the insurance fund very often, i was robbed.. thats what i pay you for.

2. atleast your not paying for the whole vehicle.

3. when i was paying my insurance, these were the wheels that were covered

i bought a cadillac, like to keep it that way

i think if you play it cool and hold your ground.. you'll get what you want

if all else fails id see if they would give me the money, check out ebay and get them myself (cardio-doc sells them, on the forum)

atleast it would cover most of the cost

Hi CaddyShack24

I'm sure the claim is quite a few thousand some damage to the body and exhaust just some quick math adding up the parts at retail I over 5k closer to 6k maybe more just the parts no labor.. to get in pre loss condition..In the whole scope of things not too much..

Cheers

Jim

Archived