CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Question on Battery Placement

Calco

Just wondering...I just bought a 2004 Deville DTS (new) and in reading the manual, discovered that the battery is under the rear seat. Last car I owned that had that was a 1962 Volkswagen! Do most of the new Cadillacs use this placement for the batteries? Any problems with this placement, such as corrosion, etc. that you can't see? Such a placement would make it very hard to *know* if such were happening of course. I also like the idea of 'snooping' around and seeing how things 'are' under the hood...of course the battery is one thing I always look at on my other car. Can't do that here it seems unless I want to hassle with the rear seat!

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Allen C.

I have a '98 STS with the battery under the rear seat also. I believe they did this to save space up front in the engine compartment. I think they only started doing that after they changed body styles in both the Seville and Deville. My car still has the original battery that came with the car and it is still going strong with no corrosion or any such problems. I agree that not being able to see the battery is sort of annoying but it saves room up front. I know that when I compare my car to my friends '95 Deville Concours, my A/C condensor is located where his battery is. This change I believe must have been meant to free up room behind the engine for some reason that I am not aware of. :blink:

I thought you would find the following quote from a 12/18/02 post by John Sundeen on the old board of interest:

The rear battery location was chosen because the TFWD powertrain layouts used by all of these vehicles (especially the Northstar V8) takes up a lot of "real estate" in the engine compartment, and because the high underhood temperatures are detrimental to battery life. Placing the mass of the battery toward the rear also helps balance the vehicle mass per axle more toward the "ideal" 50/50. However, there are downsides to the rear battery location. . . It necessitates a long wiring run from the battery to the starter and alternator, and the wire must be very heavy cable to minimize the voltage drop through the wires. The longer/heavier battery cables add mass and cost. There also have to special provisions made in the engine compartment for booster cable connections for jump starting, and the battery must be eqipped with special vent hoses to the outside air to prevent battery fumes from contaminating the passenger compartment. In other words, there's no "free lunch" with the rear battery design, but it illustrates the compromises that go into all engineering projects. In this case, the packaging and battery temperature benefits of the rear battery location outweighed the detriments.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Any problems with this placement, such as corrosion, etc. that you can't see?

Allen C.

Original battery still in service in this one also. Have not seen a trace of corrosion and I make it a point to inspect the cable connectors / battery terminals at least once a year.

And the rear seat cushion is not a hassle after the second time you go in there. I use some of the space under the cushion for temperature sensitive radio equipment and I'm under there frequently.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks very much for the prompt replies and the positive info given. I feel a lot better now that some of you have still got the original Delco battery after so long a period of time. About the best I've *ever* done with an original battery in a new car is a little over two years, so it is good to hear that I can expect more from this design.

As this was my first post, I can say I really think this is one fine forum and I'm very glad to be a participant. Hope I can be helpful to someone as time goes by.

Thanks very much for the present posts, and keep them coming if anyone has anything more to add.

Allen C. :)

I have a 2001 STS and I installed an Optima battery in place of the original. Bolts right in and no vent lines to worry about.

Typhoon

2001 STS with NAV

1994 BMW 850Ci

1993 GMC Typhoon

1988 Fiero waiting for a Northstar

1988 Toyota Supra Turbo "slightly" modified

Hey Typhoon,

I have a '99 STS...Sams' Club told me they do not make an Optima battery for that car. Do you know which battery you replaced it with? Doesn't the optima have to be vented anyway? Does anyone know if the same battery would work in a '99 STS?

thank you

Hey Typhoon,

I have a '99 STS...Sams' Club told me they do not make an Optima battery for that car. Do you know which battery you replaced it with? Doesn't the optima have to be vented anyway? Does anyone know if the same battery would work in a '99 STS?

thank you

I'm interested in the answer myself for future replacement. I've read a lot of *good* things about the Optima line, but they are pretty high $'s aren't they? Anyone know the price? They contain a gel, I believe, but like the poster I'm quoting, wouldn't they also need to be vented, or is no 'reaction' occuring between the plates, or does it even have plates? I don't have a clue as to how the Optima really is made or how it 'works'. Seem's there would have to be some kind of reaction to produce a current.

Allen C.

Archived