CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Drilled/Slotted Rotors

Scotty

While the brakes on my Deville are very good, I need to pull the rotors and have them resurfaced due to hard braking shutter/vibration. I was considering replacing them with a Powerstop drilled or slotted rotor. I have heard that drilled rotors can crack, a very dangerous thing to have happen. Is this car too heavy for drilled rotors and does anyone have experience with either drilled or slotted rotors? Are drilled rotor just overkill? I was thinking if I replaced them why now do the drilled upgrade as long as I did not expose myself to a cracking risk. Thanks, Mike

I 100% recommend the Powerstop drilled rotors. They're radiused (not chamfered), which is supposed to "eliminate" the possibility of cracks. Mine have close to 45,000 miles on them now, and they're still great, no cracks at all. People will say that drilled rotors are only for looks, but I submit to you the fact that this car required a rotor resurface at least every 25k miles or so (look at my maintenance chart). I'm now getting on to 45k with these and they stop perfect -- no pulsing, no shaking.

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/rotors.html

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I 100% recommend the Powerstop drilled rotors. They're radiused (not chamfered), which is supposed to "eliminate" the possibility of cracks. Mine have close to 45,000 miles on them now, and they're still great, no cracks at all. People will say that drilled rotors are only for looks, but I submit to you the fact that this car required a rotor resurface at least every 25k miles or so (look at my maintenance chart). I'm now getting on to 45k with these and they stop perfect -- no pulsing, no shaking.

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/rotors.html

Thanks Jason, you sold me (assuming you don't work for Powerstop, :lol: ) . I will get the camfered drilled rotors when I do my front brakes! Can I still use the OEM pads, did you? Thanks, Mike

I put the expensive powerstops on my 94 sls about 2 yrs ago (apprx $180), they stopped great, no fad, actually the breaking increases with heat. But mine cracked (had many, many, many fine cracks extending from the drilled holes on both sides. was not satisfied considering the cost (and powerstop would not replace), went back to traditionals, as I am constantly having them turned (I have two sets of the plain ones now and just swap them out because there is often a wait at the parts store for turning)

I too, installed them on my car along with some REAL aggressive pads, and they DID develope minor cracks after several thousand miles (which included a few drag strip runs). I replaced the pads with less aggressive ones and still have them on my car and am monitoring them CONSTANTLY. The drag strip runs seemed to do the damage.

Thanks Jason, you sold me (assuming you don't work for Powerstop, :lol: ) . I will get the camfered drilled rotors when I do my front brakes! Can I still use the OEM pads, did you?

I used Bendix pads (an OE replacement) and they work great. I've noticed no cracking on mine, and they've been on there for almost 45k miles. I don't abuse them either, though. If you haven't purchased them yet, you MAY consider going with slotted instead, although I've heard that slotted rotors will really eat up your pads.

I've considered, if these rotors ever do crack, buying slotted rotors to replace them. I'll never go back to a standard rotor. Had to turn those WAY too many times. If it's either slotted or standard, I'd pick the slotted everytime. I've still got solid rotors on the rear...I don't think those need the extra cooling. But the fronts, which do 80% of the braking on this 4000-lb car, DO need that extra measure of protection. I'm a firm believer in the benefits of the drilled rotor, and providing that mine don't crack, I'll leave 'em on there until I wear 'em thin. I do think, though, that if I ever do have to replace them, that I'd go with slotted.

Sorry I didn't point that out earler...I've just developed that opinion during the past few days looking around at pad options. Brembo sells slotted rotors on tirerack.com for $270 for the pair. That's about what I paid for the Powerstops, and everywhere you look, they do say that the slotted ones are stronger. Like I said, I've never had mine to crack, but I guess as with anything in life, your mileage may vary. :)

Katshot, welcome buddy! What's goin' on over at cadillacforums? Keepin' that Fleetwood clean and runnin' well?

Thanks Jason, you sold me (assuming you don't work for Powerstop,  :lol: ) .  I will get the camfered drilled rotors when I do my front brakes!  Can I still use the OEM pads, did you?

I used Bendix pads (an OE replacement) and they work great. I've noticed no cracking on mine, and they've been on there for almost 45k miles. I don't abuse them either, though. If you haven't purchased them yet, you MAY consider going with slotted instead, although I've heard that slotted rotors will really eat up your pads.

I've considered, if these rotors ever do crack, buying slotted rotors to replace them. I'll never go back to a standard rotor. Had to turn those WAY too many times. If it's either slotted or standard, I'd pick the slotted everytime. I've still got solid rotors on the rear...I don't think those need the extra cooling. But the fronts, which do 80% of the braking on this 4000-lb car, DO need that extra measure of protection. I'm a firm believer in the benefits of the drilled rotor, and providing that mine don't crack, I'll leave 'em on there until I wear 'em thin. I do think, though, that if I ever do have to replace them, that I'd go with slotted.

Sorry I didn't point that out earler...I've just developed that opinion during the past few days looking around at pad options. Brembo sells slotted rotors on tirerack.com for $270 for the pair. That's about what I paid for the Powerstops, and everywhere you look, they do say that the slotted ones are stronger. Like I said, I've never had mine to crack, but I guess as with anything in life, your mileage may vary. :)

Yes but maybe yours did not crack because of the chamfered holes. I wonder if the others here that mentioned cracks hat the chamfered holes? Thanks for the info, Mike

Their website specifically said they were "radiused" instead of "chamfered". And I assume they meant 1-angle chamfering. A chamfer is just a single cut (45* I'd say) along the edge of the hole...like a countersink...that reduces the chances of cracking, when compared to drilled rotors that are just straight cut. The website said that radiusing the holes (don't know how they do that) virtually eliminates the chances of cracking. Having said that, it says repeatedly that it's not meant for track use. But anyone could be in a panic stop, requiring them to haul down from 70 or 80 mph pretty quickly, and if that's all it takes to crack a drilled rotor, I'd say it isn't worth much.

Fortunately, mine haven't cracked yet. I can't say that they won't ever crack, but they're still good. And I'm very impressed with their performance. Like CHUCKGANN stated, braking power almost seems to INCREASE as the stop wears on, which is something a conventional rotor wouldn't do. I really like these, and will keep them as long as they stay true and sound.

Their website specifically said they were "radiused" instead of "chamfered".

Interesting I was using the term interchangably but I just looked at the site and see, thanks, I think I will try them or the slotted rotors next time, Mike

I also have the Powerstop cross drilled and HAVE used them at the track and I do not have any cracks yet. I agree with Jason that if you can't use them in a panic stop, what good are they. I have carbon/ceramic pads that actually need heat buildup to stop. It's hard for me to stop if I only go a few blocks when they are cold. When I really stand on them it seems the hotter they get, the better they stop.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Archived