CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Antenna update

Regis

The problem was that the antenna went up and down just fine but the motor wouldn't stop running after it was down. Someone posted a fix about taking the unit appart and insert a nail where the original stop pin probably fell out or broke. Made a lot of sense so I took another look at the motor assembly and knew this was going to be more then a 6 pak job. Long story short, I stopped in at Custom Cars and the boys hooked me up with an internal power antenna that uses the original hookups and no moving parts. Attaches to the back of the windshield (1"x 3"). Works and looks great. No more worries this winter when it's -11° and wondering if it's going to work. Price: $20 for the unit plus installation fee.

Thought some of you could really use this info.

-kg

206,000 miles

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

don't have any experience with that fix but i did have the same problem...once i had the dealer repair it i got on a schedule of cleaning the mast with mineral spirits and wiping it down with three in one oil every month. jackg 90seville 94k

My power antenna also did that, the motor would not stop running. I just went and bought a whole new unit and the local bodyshop installed it. :(

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Yeah it just became a hassle during the winter when we'd get a little freezing rain or ice and the antenna would freeze over and get stuck causing the motor to keep running. It's bad enough watching out for traffic in ice let alone wondering if the antenna made it up. Franky I'm over the whole concept of the extend and retracting antenna. It was cool at one time like the hide-away GTO headlights ..... ok that's a really bad example but you get the point. Can't say enough about the internal antenna.....but perhaps someday i'll miss the wrrrrrrr of the old one.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I think you can get a mast replacement at caddy and install it. That would be alot cheaper than buying the whole think. Junk yards are good for these types I items also. There is a nylon cord that breaks in there over time, Mike

Archived