CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear end replacement 2006 CTS 3.42 replace with STS 3.23

I have a complete differintal out of a 2008 STS with a 3.23 ratio and would like to exchange it for the 3.42 presently in my 2006 CTS. Has anyone did this and if so can the speedometer be recalibrated to match the 3.23 rear end? Floyd

I assume when you say differential, you mean the complete ring gear and pinion set already assembled.

I have not done one on a CTS, but... I don't see why that swap would not be just a simple....take one out...put the other one in...type swap.

The speedometer can be recalibrated.

Posted Image

I assume when you say differential, you mean the complete ring gear and pinion set already assembled.

I have not done one on a CTS, but... I don't see why that swap would not be just a simple....take one out...put the other one in...type swap.

Texas Jim: I have a new (13 miles on it) complete rear differental unit out of a 2008 STS and am sure it will fit right in but have been unable to find anyone to recalibrate the speedometer. If you know of anyone who could do this for me I would appreciate it. I am in Alamo, just 9 miles from McAllen, TX.

Thanks Floyd

Texas Jim: I have a new (13 miles on it) complete rear differental unit out of a 2008 STS and am sure it will fit right in but have been unable to find anyone to recalibrate the speedometer. If you know of anyone who could do this for me I would appreciate it. I am in Alamo, just 9 miles from McAllen, TX.

Thanks Floyd

I am not sure they are the same size....the CTS and the STS rear end.

I just re-read the post. I was thinking the new rear end was from a CTS

Do some checking about width of the housing...bolt pattern...etc etc etc

Why are you changing the rear end? Is the one in your car bad?

If it fits...The dealer can recalibrate it with a TECH 2. It shouldn't be a big deal.

I know they do it for people that change tire size and stuff. It is the same thing.

Posted Image

Archived