CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Struts and Shocks 99 STS

woody

Hello Forum Members,

It's time to replace the 4 corners. I think I am going with Arnott as most of the archived post seem to favor these. The old gal has 135,000 on her and needs some help. Is there anything I need to know when replacing them. I am also going to purchase from Rock Auto the strut mounts. I am sure my mechanic knows what is needed but I would like to know myself. Only $150 install for all 4. Any words are always appreciated.

Thanks,

Woody

:D

Why do they need to be changed? Are they leaking fluid? Are you having handling issues such as bottoming out or bouncing after a bump?

If you don't have any of this stuff going on, you may just keep things as they are for a while. You may even consider just replacing the mounting rubber parts or bearings if you are getting unusual noise. Even though the Arnots may be the best possible option for replacement, I have never heard anyone say that the handling or ride improved dramatically after the swap.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I thought about that last night after my post. There is no leaking but I do get what feels like bottoming out and there is also slight bounce with noise on uneven surface. I replace the sway bar links and bushings about a year ago and that seemed to take of the problem. Maybe it is the rubber mounts and bearings. Can anyone show me where these are and approx cost to purchase? I am re-thinking my options.

Thanks,

Woody

the typical route is to change the strut and than decide if also changing the strut mount is warranted. but caddy electronic struts are big $$. I think that few folks change just the strut mount and keep the original shock. if you decide to change the strut than you might as well do the mount. i live on a hill and sometimes when i turn into my driveway i get a crunch sound from the right front wheel well. weight on the nose and turning the wheel at the same time. not sure what it is. i would put my money on strut mount.

Well Woody, you may indeed have a problem, but before I would tackle this kind of job, on this kind of car, I'd be REAL careful where I spent the money. You may want to do the mounts and bearings first, then while things are apart you'd be able to evaluate each shock independently. You may want to relace just one, maybe even with a used one from a salvage yard that is in good shape.

I know that this is not "conventional" thinking for this kind of issue, but these are not conventional cars. If the shocks are electronic, I'd hate to see you lose that functionality by replacing them with standard technology parts. Further, just think how much easier the simple task of replacing the shocks will be once you've already done it! After all, you do need to take the shocks out to replace the mounts and upper strut bearings. Nothing like experience to make a job go easier!

As to showing you where things are, I can't do that. Maybe someone else will. My advice on that is to get a repair manual, preferably a Helm, but in this case another brand may work just as well.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I am looking at replacing the strut rod bushings, lower control arm bushings (with the blue poly material) and the ball joints. I read some of the posts when I searched and I think starting here may save me some $$ and see if the noise subsides and the ride improves.

Woody :rolleyes:

Archived