CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service Ride Control, anyway to disable this message

Delta

Tired struts won't cause this message. It's probably a loose ride height sensor or connector or some such. It's far easier, quicker and simpler to fix those things than to try to disable them. The first thing to do is to read the OBD II codes, copy them down, and post them here. Here's how:

The codes will tell what needs to be done.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Actually I've had this exact problem. I had a 1991 Eldorado that displayed the same message. You indeed need new struts. However it is a possibility that the ride height sensor is disconnected but it doesn't cause any message, or at least it doesn't in mine. Starting with the ride height sensor there are two. Both located on the rear control arms under either rear strut. They are short (3-4") and thin (1/4") in diameter. They have little plastic black ball joints on the end of the short rods. One end is connected to a little (2" square) black plastic electrical box and the other to the control arm or strut which one I'm not positive. To check if this leveling system is working, simply pull on one of the plastic ball joints connected to the rod. Pull it straight towards you to "pop" it off the socket it is snapped onto. Leave the rod with the plastic socket on it disconnected while you proceed to turn the ignition to the on position. It is not necessary to start the vehicle. As soon as the key is turned on the vehicles rear end should raise ridiculously high until it reaches the maximum excursion. To not worry the strut can only extend itself so much. I first learned this procedure when I drove around with my own car's rear end up in the air like that and I started looking for the problem and found the plastic socket disconnected. Upon re-installation of the socket and turning the key back to ignition the rear end will return to normal. This whole ordeal however WILL NOT make the service ride control light to come on. Now on to the front struts and resolving the ride control message. There is a small black electrical clip on the end of a set of wires plugged in on top of each strut mount under the vehicle's hood. Any person can locate these mounts. Once the strut is replaced, and by the way you WILL NOT be able to get replacement air ride struts. Caddy discontinued them. A everyday pressure charged strut will be provided as a replacement. Find salvage yard if you wish for air ride. But once the strut is replaced the electrical clip will not have a place to plug in. A part is sold for about $15 each that plugs into the electrical connector (probably $50 each from Cadillac!). This plug is a simply a resistor that will make the ECM think there is no problem and the message will disappear. So whether or not you replace the struts, a purchase of these small resistors to plug the electrical clip off the strut into will resolve your annoying message situation. I found the resistors ($15 each) and new struts ($55 each) at Car Quest. Or try NAPA Auto Parts. Or I'm sure somewhere on the internet.

Actually I've had this exact problem. I had a 1991 Eldorado that displayed the same message. You indeed need new struts. However it is a possibility that the ride height sensor is disconnected but it doesn't cause any message, or at least it doesn't in mine. Starting with the ride height sensor there are two. Both located on the rear control arms under either rear strut. They are short (3-4") and thin (1/4") in diameter. They have little plastic black ball joints on the end of the short rods. One end is connected to a little (2" square) black plastic electrical box and the other to the control arm or strut which one I'm not positive. To check if this leveling system is working, simply pull on one of the plastic ball joints connected to the rod. Pull it straight towards you to "pop" it off the socket it is snapped onto. Leave the rod with the plastic socket on it disconnected while you proceed to turn the ignition to the on position. It is not necessary to start the vehicle. As soon as the key is turned on the vehicles rear end should raise ridiculously high until it reaches the maximum excursion. To not worry the strut can only extend itself so much. I first learned this procedure when I drove around with my own car's rear end up in the air like that and I started looking for the problem and found the plastic socket disconnected. Upon re-installation of the socket and turning the key back to ignition the rear end will return to normal. This whole ordeal however WILL NOT make the service ride control light to come on. Now on to the front struts and resolving the ride control message. There is a small black electrical clip on the end of a set of wires plugged in on top of each strut mount under the vehicle's hood. Any person can locate these mounts. Once the strut is replaced, and by the way you WILL NOT be able to get replacement air ride struts. Caddy discontinued them. A everyday pressure charged strut will be provided as a replacement. Find salvage yard if you wish for air ride. But once the strut is replaced the electrical clip will not have a place to plug in. A part is sold for about $15 each that plugs into the electrical connector (probably $50 each from Cadillac!). This plug is a simply a resistor that will make the ECM think there is no problem and the message will disappear. So whether or not you replace the struts, a purchase of these small resistors to plug the electrical clip off the strut into will resolve your annoying message situation. I found the resistors ($15 each) and new struts ($55 each) at Car Quest. Or try NAPA Auto Parts. Or I'm sure somewhere on the internet.

Do you know what term these resistors would be called?

AAhhh, man. I'm sorry man. I've racked my head for what those things were called. It was about 4-5 years ago and I really can't remember. Maybe if you tried a dealer for the name of them and then hang up and call your parts store. I'll keep ya posted if I remember or come up with something.

Archived