CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

02 seville sts code p101 any suggestions?

mywifests

hello guys, back again, with more problems,

here's my story, since i got my 02 sts back in april of this year (08) i've had a number of problems and codes.

long story short,

replaced both crank sensors due to stalling, new battery from gm (original ac delco), new cat converter (i squeezed the juice out of the warranty :P), i have a K&N intake system, no problems with that ...

p101 - MAF or VAF A CKT Range/Perf cleared the code a few times but comes back here and there, not immediately after clearing.

i had a 99 sts before but it got totalled , and i can bet my life it was faster than this one, not dramastically , but noticeable, maybe some kind of power loss due to this code??? not sure...

i've also had to boost to start about 3, 4 times since doing the crank sensors and getting a new battery but not sure if thats relevant to p101. my starter appears to be fine and no problems with alternator charging the battery.

any suggestions?

There have previously been reports that K&N filter systems (over-oiled) have left an oil deposit on the MAF sensor element. Your solution to the P0101 could be as simple as cleaning up the MAF sensor and installing a dry paper filter element.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

GM has a bulletin about oil and air filters. I know I've seen a couple of contaminated MAF's.

"The use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket, reusable air filter may result in:

• Service Engine Soon (SES) light on

• Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)

• Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.

When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over- oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with an OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.

The use of an aftermarket reusable air filter DOES NOT void the vehicle's warranty.

If an aftermarket reusable air filter is used, technicians should inspect the MAF sensor element and the air induction hose for contamination of oil prior to making warranty repairs.

Transmission or engine driveability concerns (related to the MAF sensor being contaminated with oil) that are the result of the use of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over-oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items."

Archived