CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NEW ETC REAR LIGHTS

franey

WALKED IN BACK OF A NEW ETC TODAY , MAYBE A YEAR OLD, BUT ANYWAY THE BIG LIGHTS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE LICENSE PLATE . I THINK THEY WERE THE BACK UP LIGHTS, ANYWAY THEY BOTH HAD MOISTURE RUNNING DOWN ON THE INSIDE OF BOTH OF THEM, . NO VISIBLE CRACKS, JUST REMINDED ME OF THE MOISTURE IN THE SEVILLE LIGHTS.WHY, IS IT THAT CADILLAC CAN NOT SEEM TO KEEP MOISTURE OUT OF TAILLIGHTS , OR BACK UP LIGHTS.

I have had only one "Problem" lens (Moisture). I removed the lens to dry it out (MicroFiber, hair dryer) and to inspect it. It looked good (No cracks) and dried out clean. I checked the bulb/socket where the wires enter it. Some of the plastic was gone around one wire. I cleaned it with 97% ISO Alky, and doped it up with silicone sealant. I put some silicone grease on the socket gasket, and reinstalled them. I then wiped a thin film of silicone grease around the gasket-socket-housing joint . No more moisture problems! The moisture problem started after I used a hi-pressure spray wash. The hand-held or "Touch-less" car washes can blow water into places that aren't 100% sealed. Go figure...

rek

Archived