CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AC compressor.. Repair or replace?

MIke D

You think summer is starting with all the ac questions showing up???

SO I went to my local shop and asked if they could add a pound of R-12. They said it's $25 a pound, but the system check it also $25 and they put about a pound in to look for leaks. If I am running low it must be going somewhere... I said whatever. SO they tell and showed me that the front of the compressor is leaking. Since they have not done me wrong in the past I said OK. They started to talk about converting over to 134 but said it could be bad cause of the pressure needed for 134 and the system being old... blah blah blah. They said just change out the compressor ad refill and hope for the best.

So my question is this. I remember somewhere that there was a rebuild kit for the compressor... is this easy to do? Or should I just swap out with a new compressor?

Summers get hot here in Florida and after sitting in an airplane all day that's about 100 deg at best... it's kind of nice to have something cold to step into...

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Did the shop use UV dye or an electronic leak detector to positively identify the source of the leak?

They shouldn't have charged you for a full pound of R-12 as once they discovered the leak, they should have recovered the balance from the system.

It sounds like a shaft seal is leaking on the compressor. It is a $15 part but you need some special tools to install it. The compressor clutch must be removed to gain access to the seal. There is a seal remover/installer as well as a seal protector that is required. The AC shop should be able to do this repair but most shops just want to swap out the compressor and charge $600-700 for the job.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

They used an electronic leak detector. They said that they were not allowed by law to put any more R12 in. I think i will just do the swap myself and have them just top off the system. It looks like a straight forward job... Thanks for the info. MD

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Archived