CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hard Shifting

95 etc 137k ...

Recently, when driving 'easy', like when you are in a residential area, between a church and a athletic field, and its 12:15 Sunday morning, everyone is going home and there is 6 little league games on in the field.

The behavior is that when driving easy as you would in that scenario, when shifting into 2nd it grabs really hard... hard to explain any better, cause the engine is loafing but it shifts like a lot of torque is being applied ... but it isn't.

If accellerating moderately to hard it does not happen. Also if I get off the gas when its going to shift it will not happen.

I have recently replace the shift soleniods, hopefully I got everything correct. I think the bad shifts happened prior this, but its much more consistant now.

Anyone know what this might be?

• 1 month later...

I have that samething happen now and then when my oil gets a little low. Pulling out nice and easy then suddenly jerks into 2nd..... yep I know the feeling. I never knew what caused it but topping off the oil always seemed to quiet it most of the time. It happens so infrequently though, that I never think to really research the actual cause.

-kg

207,000 miles

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I'm having the same problem with my 1995 STS with 127k and my 1999 STS with 65k :blink: Caddyshack, whay do you suspect the TPS and wouldn;t that throw a code? Seems like I read a post a while back that told how to check it, something about voltage at certain throttle blade positions. anyone know how to test the TPS?

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

What we all need is a very cheap scan tool. Something that will just give us readouts from various sensors so we can very quickly check things like the TPS. IT SHOULD throw a code, but I've noticed a lot of things on the car won't throw a code even though they should and I dont' know why..

One time I pulled the EGR pintle out of the socket and started the car and of course it stalled immediately and i checked the codes and there were like 20 of them .. i mean wtf? how can there be that many codes from a stall .. i dunno.. scan tool will show all. If you get an expensive one you can do cool stuff like turn on and off injectors and other solenoid related things.

I had a speed input sensor go out in the 95 (was malfunctioning when I baught it) but that has been long since fixed. I don;t think the 99 model is effected by this premature sensor failure problem.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

**Warning Warning, Opinions Expressed**

I guessed the TP Sensor because it seems related to throttle angle and speed .. when i expected the harsh shift, i'd ease off the throttle.. everything was cool.

Seeing how the TP Sensor cant check itself for accuracy (or can it).. and may get stuck due to carbon buildup, faulty wiring.. what have you, has no reason to throw a code.

I took the car to AAMCO for a free diag and they said the hard shifting is the lower motor mounts. The guy took it for a drive and had another guy power brake while it was on a lift.

He said if you have ANY trans problem with a Northstar it WILL throw a code in a New York minute.

Has anyone changed the lower mounts on a 99.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Well, I called a mechanic and he said the front lower mount calls for 4.5 labor hours to replace. Sounds a little steep. Anyone have ALLDATA that can verify the labor needed, or better yet, the procedure? :(

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

really? i'm going to make an appoiment with my local AAMCO.. lets see if we get the same diagnosis. Is your's related to when the car shifts? mine is.. like today, it shifted flawlessly threw every gear. Somedays it will buck like a bull though. I'm still thinking TP Sensor in my case

Archived