CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Man admits scamming car dealers and buyers

This can easily happen in New Jersey because of the inspection system operated by the State. When you buy a new car in New Jersey the car is issued a FOUR YEAR inspection sticker. So four years can roll by before the car gets its first inspection.

That's extraordinary! Here in NY we only have a two year inspection cycle. While it used to be a one year cycle, one day our Governor needed some extra revenue and went for the two year cycle. A quick double-up-front payment that left only emptiness in its wake. I guess the FOUR YEAR cycle is next. Do I hear 5 years?

Call me silly, but I thought the reason for regular inspections was to insure that the idiot next to you on the roadway was at least driving a serviceable auto. Now I understand better; its a revenue enhancement thing. Safety be damned. Makes sense. In a Government kinda way.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

This can easily happen in New Jersey because of the inspection system operated by the State. When you buy a new car in New Jersey the car is issued a FOUR YEAR inspection sticker. So four years can roll by before the car gets its first inspection.

That's extraordinary! Here in NY we only have a two year inspection cycle. While it used to be a one year cycle, one day our Governor needed some extra revenue and went for the two year cycle. A quick double-up-front payment that left only emptiness in its wake. I guess the FOUR YEAR cycle is next. Do I hear 5 years?

Call me silly, but I thought the reason for regular inspections was to insure that the idiot next to you on the roadway was at least driving a serviceable auto. Now I understand better; its a revenue enhancement thing. Safety be damned. Makes sense. In a Government kinda way.

Regards,

Warren

We have a two year inspection cycle as well, but it applies to used cars only, ANY used car. It's just not right. New cars should have a two year inspection cycle up until say, six years and thereafter all cars should be subject to yearly inspections. This past winter I was stunned by the number of cars driving on icy New Jersey roads that had BALD tires. Inspection looks at tires and will FAIL a tire if it's legally bald. But alas, people can drive around on these bald tires, even in the winter, because NO ONE IS CHECKING. Bad, very BAD.

I drive part time for a body shop, picking up and delivering cars. Just last night I drove a lease vehicle, a three year old Camry. When I pressed on the brakes, THERE WERE NONE. The peddle went nearly to the floor before I actually felt the brakes activate and start to slow the car down. Had that car been through a recent inspection, say within the last six months, no doubt it would have probably failed for defective brakes and the owner would have been forced to repair them. But no, that Camry is on the road and might one day be involved in a nasty accident because the owner didn't maintain the car in proper working condition. Sometimes government intervention is needed to motivate people to do the right thing.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived