CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac Performance

JasonA

Folks,

I wanted to provide some more context to the two graphs I had on my Northstar page showing acceleration numbers for Cadillacs. I went on autosite.com and added the numbers for all the Devilles, and all the 98+ Sevilles (I only had the '98 models). All the new information is available in a rather large chart, which I think shows pretty well at a quick glance the general performance of a given set of vehicles.

The image should be attached to this message...and it's also linked below.

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/images/caddyperf.gif

post-3-1084928201.gif

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Can't find any data. Since they're no longer produced, that autosite.com website doesn't seem to keep any data on them (performance data, that is). I'll keep looking -- and if someone has a site that shows published numbers from magazines, I'd love to include as many Eldorados as I could. Just had no data.

But thanks for the compliment. :)

Jason, what happened in 95 and onword to increase the power?

(Looking for the short list)

Was it just the intake manifold ? or?

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Yes, the intake manifold was improved for 1995 & later engines. Also, in that time period, the fuel injection system was switched from speed density to MAF-based. I think it's important to note it was only a claimed 5 hp and 5 lb*ft.

http://www.caddyinfo.com/sevilleyearbyyear.htm

Yes, the intake manifold was improved for 1995 & later engines. Also, in that time period, the fuel injection system was switched from speed density to MAF-based. I think it's important to note it was only a claimed 5 hp and 5 lb*ft.

http://www.caddyinfo.com/sevilleyearbyyear.htm

Thats what I thought. I don't see 5hp as being able to generate .5 second improvement in 1/4 mile time though. Something else is in play, or there must have been unequal testing in the reports.

Any further thoughts on the subject?

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Well, I see it as just the variability in the cars. That '93 STS had the exact same engine/horsepower as the '94 STS, yet the '93 is .5 second slower. The 2000 DTS and the '01 DTS had the exact same engine/horsepower, yet there's at least a 1/2 second difference in those times too. The '95 SLS matches or beats every '98 STS, yet there's about a 20 hp difference there. Just goes to show that any particular NS-powered car has the potential to beat any other particular NS-powered car. It just matters whether or not you have one of "the fast ones".

Well, not knowing who was doing the driving, my assumption would be it was more likely driver skill (or lack thereof) that would account for the time differences.

With similar power, weight and gearing they must all generate similar times.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

Well, not knowing who was doing the driving, my assumption would be it was more likely driver skill (or lack thereof) that would account for the time differences.

True...but I would add to that track conditions, elevation, environment (temperature, humidity, wind), condition of car, etc. I'd say that most of the instrumented testing was performed my drivers who actually know what they're doing. I think I'm one of the few who does think that the magazines know what they're doing and they report the best they got out of the car that day. These are Cadillacs with automatic transmissions, not stock cars with grabby clutches or tires that smoke through 3rd if you're not careful. I agree that in many drag races, one particular driver might get a .10th quicker 0-60 time in a 3.7-second Porsche, but in these Cadillacs, it's really just a matter of dropping the hammer (possibly feathering the throttle a bit for the first few seconds) and letting 'er rip.

You can "correct" a time based on elevation, but as far as I know, there's no way to correct a time back to a temperature or humidity benchmark (like 32*F for instance). If one car was tested on a 90* day and another on a 50* day, that would certainly account for a time difference; while both drivers were probably 100% competent to get the most out of each car, the environment probably negatively affected the car on the 90* day.

I think that numbers are meaningless anyway when you're trying to compare car to car. You can't use numbers to do bench racing. You can't say one way or the other how your car will do against another based solely on numbers. You have to get out to a real dragstrip (street races are meaningless also I believe), where the conditions are exactly the same for each (or as close as it's gonna get) and just see what you get.

Archived