CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

IE7 messed up after MS Desktop Search installed

Don't ask me why, but for some unknown reason, I allowed Microsoft Update to install Desktop Search on my machine yesterday. Bad decision.

Since that install, I have lost control of the font size displayed on all IE pages. Firefox font size is not affected.

A Google search on "Desktop Search uninstall" is not encouraging. It appears there is no "easy" way to uninstall Desktop Search short of typing/writing more lines of instructions than I care to tackle.

Given the level of expertise on this board, I'm hoping that someone else has been there and done that and will eventually read this post and post a point and click method for removing MS Desktop Search.

TNX

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

First, make sure that the directories and folders are all OK. Open My Computer, right-click on C: and select Properties, then click the Tools tab. Click "Check for errors" and make sure that the "Automatically fix file system errors" is checked but "Scan for and attempt to fix bad sectors" is NOT checked. Click OK and agree with the prompts that the disk will be checked at the next reboot. Then reboot.

Now, make sure that you have everything up-to-date. Run Windows Update, with the Custom button (W2K, XP) or click "Check for updates" and look at the optional updates (you can ignore language support for languages that you don't need to see supported, and some other things like SilverLight and .NET if you like, but there may be some things for IE or Desktop Search there). Reboot, whether or not it tells you to, and run Windows Update again. Repeat until Windows Update tells you that nothing else is there.

If that doesn't do it, then you could un-install IE 7 and re-install by running Windows Update again and that almost certainly will finish off any loose ends.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 3 weeks later...
Don't ask me why, but for some unknown reason, I allowed Microsoft Update to install Desktop Search on my machine yesterday. Bad decision.

Since that install, I have lost control of the font size displayed on all IE pages. Firefox font size is not affected.

It was not Desktop Search at all. It was that pesky little "Change Zoom Level" tab at the bottom RH corner of IE 7. I must have hit a key combo that changed it from 100% to 125%.

All is well once more.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived