CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

weight a minute

Hi to all.

If we cant really pack in more horse,should we try to reduce some weight?

The ricers speed is based on power to weight.Has anybody tried this?What

can we safely/practically remove without a big sacrifice?such as a/c and power windows you know.Is this a stupid question?How much weight would need to be shed to make a difference,does anyone know ? :D

Well, removing (major weight, not like spare tire weight) weight in a Caddy would mean taking out a back seat or something, and I think the general challenge is to gain speed while maintaining the class and elegance of Cadillac. In reality, it'd probably be real easy to just gut a Cadillac, but to have one with leather interior, indash screen, etc., is quite remarkable and what we generally strive to achieve around here.

I pretty much agree with K2K. "Going fast with class." There was a ricer behind me today at a stoplight. Had all sorts of stickers on it and junk, including a trashcan muffler. I left him at the stop light (he probably wasn't expecting that from a Caddy). About a mile down the road (a 4-lane US route), he buzzed by me going about 100 probably. And I do mean "buzzed". Sounded like he had it redlined. It was about 90 outside. He had his windows open (maybe having removed the A/C) and was looking pretty perched in there. I laughed as I sipped some more from my Diet Coke and my wife snoozed in the air-conditioned comfort of a true luxury machine.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

GM has spent vast amounts of R&D money on this very issue. Much of today's Cadillac is made of aluminum, magnesium, plastic, and other light weight materials. A modern Cadillac weighs around 3500 lbs. compared to the 5000 lb. all steel and cast iron cars of 25 to 30 years ago. Add to this electronics and other newer technologies and you have a car that not only out performs and out maneuvers the older Cadillacs but retains the room and creature comforts and gets more than twice the gas milage. It's pretty amazing when you think about it!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived