CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rubber dressing

JIMDTS

I used lexol rubber & vinyl conditioner on all the weather stripping.This stuff really worked great. Just takes some time to dress all the rubbers.I used a small piece of a cotton t shirt dipped in the dressing and just cleaned them up.It made all the rubber nice and supple like new.The car is black in color so when the rubbbers strat to look dirty or dry a little you can really notice it.More so than on a light colored car.I compared the weather stripping on mine to a 04 Deville and mine looked as good as the 04's.First time I dressed the weather stripping I also used this stuff on the top of the dash and door panels it made them look nice. A little too shiney for my taste but not bad. If you wash most of it off with some lexol leather saop and water it makes it just rite looking hardly no gloss and nice and supple. I also use the lexol leather soap on the seats which does a nice job.No need to use the leather conditioner yet. The front seat covers are new and they are nice and supple.I washed the seats to try to shrink them up a little due to the fit of the new ones was a little sloppy GM ships the covers to the dealers all folded up so it takes awhile for them to conform and fit nice. So far so good After washing them with the lexol soap and water and a few hot days they fit great.I am leary to use the lexol conditioner on the seats if you read what the leather manuf.(seton) puts out they just tell you to wash the leather up with some leather soap when dirty.I have used lexol conditioner on all my other cars but I will wait awhile to do this one.Now it's time for a good detail job when I get some time but the car still looks good it's been 6 months since the last wheel and wax job so it overdue

This time I will try some of the newer mcguires wax's and see how it works out I have been using mcguires gold class which did a nice job but I have been looking at some of the newer products they have and they appear to be a little better than the gold class wax..One of the draw backs of a dark colored car is the buffing and waxing a couple times per year but when done they look nice.

Jim

For all the vinyl inside the vehicle I use a clear carnauba wax that's actually designed to protect outdoor wood such as picket fences and patio furniture. I let the wax dry and then buff it by hand to a warm glow. I also use it on the wood trim. It stops dust and particles from sticking, which makes dusting the interior a breeze.

Carnauba wax is the ONLY wax that protects against the sun's damaging rays. It keeps all the vinyl supple and soft. I tend to lean in the direction of trying to use products derived from nature. NEVER use silicone on anything having to do with your car. Not only will it damage the surface, you beath it while it's decomposing.

You can get the stuff here: http://www.realmilkpaint.com/carnauba.html

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

JIMDTS, here's a Meguiar's combo that I just tried. It looks like a new layer of clear-coat was added (as in WET look). First, Color-X. Next, NXT. Let the NXT set for at least 15 minutes before you wipe it off. 24 hours later (so the NXT can cure), a coat of #26. Shine on...

rek

Hi Marika & Rek

I am thinking of using either the nxt or some of the professional wax's that mequires has. I usually clean the finish with a foam pad using a rubbing wheel then wax the car. The best combination I have used yet was using the swirl mark remover with the wheel the applying the gold class wax a pain in the A but the results were worth it

I used the lexol dressing due to it had UV protection

Marika the carnuba wax looks great to use Next time I'll try that.Thanks for the link

Cheers

Jim

Archived