CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air compressor off........

Okay I will ask this a gain since spring is here and my car will be going another summer without air if someone cannot help. I am the proud owner of a 1992 STS. I get the "low refrigerant compressor off" error, and therein lies my problem. I cannot recharge my system since when I put a can on the system, the system has to have the compressor running to get the refrigerant sucked in. Well since my car effectively has shut off the compressor I have no way of filling my sys. I need ideas and knowledge on how to circumvent this code to get my compressor on to accept coolant....thank you in advance

Rob

Get the can hooked up and ready to go. Cear the codes. That will enable the compressor. Now open the valve and hold the can upside down to service as liquid and it should refill quickly enough to prevent the DTC from setting again.

If you disconnect the battery (for 30 seconds I think), the system will restart. Therefore, it will not know yet that it's low in refrigerent. A/C compressor will work for short amount of time, long enough to recharge. I just did this a few days ago.

Evacuating a system will/should not remove a significant amount of oil. Adding too much oil will decrease the capacity of the system.

the problem is when you lsoe refridgerant, you loose oil as well, and that oil is essential to the proper operation of the AC system.

The service manual states that generally in the case of a small leak over time you don't lose much in the way of oil. If it's a blowout it could be 3 oz. On a 97 the system is suppose to hold 8 oz of PAG oil.

Doesn't a 92 use R-12 as a refrigerant? I thought the change over year was 94 to 134a.

Dennis

Archived