CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

drive axle replacement

95 etc, 137k

Is there anything tricky about replacing the drive axle (half-shaft?). I realize that the lower ball joint has to be disconnected and that the strut will swing enough to accomodate the removal. I am a master at wheel hub replacement, second one took 50 minutes, so I know the territory.

My main question is, what gives with the inner side. Is there a retaining clip or some other entity, or will it just drop out into my waiting hands? I have the replacement parts and do not see any slots in the spline for a clip, but there are some slots on the large section where it 'telescopes', between the spline and the boot (again, i am referring to the inner side).

Any other advice or tricks gladly appreciated .... (and I know the the ball joint may be difficult to release). :ph34r:

I think what you are asking is if anything is holding the CV joint in the transmission. My experience has been nothing. I changed the CV joints in my Dad's old 86 Olds Toronado and they should just pull out of the tranny. You'll have to pull and pry and be patient with it to come out, but they just pop out and slide back in.

The only thing you should not do is hit the tie rod end with a hammer on the threads :lol: . I was a young punk with a hammer and stuff wasn’t going right. An angle grinder helped out the problem that I had caused myself.

Hope it goes well for you :D

Spence

I think what you are asking is if anything is holding the CV joint in the transmission. My experience has been nothing. I changed the CV joints in my Dad's old 86 Olds Toronado and they should just pull out of the tranny. You'll have to pull and pry and be patient with it to come out, but they just pop out and slide back in.

The only thing you should not do is hit the tie rod end with a hammer on the threads :lol: . I was a young punk with a hammer and stuff wasn’t going right. An angle grinder helped out the problem that I had caused myself.

Hope it goes well for you :D

Spence

There is a circlip inside the transaxle that locks into a groove in the CV halfshaft.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

rmac-etc

On the 94 Eldorado the half shafts slip right out once the inner boot is released.

These shafts had rectangular bearings (3) that will fall off when rotated 90 degrees.

Suggestion, attach and clamp the inner boot before you remount the hub . By holding the shaft up, there is no strain or twist on the boot while you are replacing the clamp.

Perhaps my terminology is incorrect, not sure what the term 'half-shaft' really is. I am replacing the axle complete with inner and outer cv joints as an assembly. There will be no releasing of any boot.

The box that the replacement part came in calls it a 'drive axle'. It that equivalent to 'half-shaft'?

I only ask because the comment about releasing the boot suggests that the axle is going to come away from the inner cv joint, but my gin addled brain is probably misinterpreting something there.

Thanks to all who replied, I expect that there will be a clip there, as KHE stated. Must be about 4+ inches in diameter though, based on the only groove i have noted on the replacement part. Its probably not going to be a big deal once I get under the car and examine the inner side of the axle/cv where it enters the trans ... otherwise there would be more posted about it on this board. Either that or very few have actually done it. My driving techniques may have encouraged premature failure of the cv's ... lol.

Guess its time to buy a manual :rolleyes:

The box that the replacement part came in calls it a 'drive axle'. It that equivalent to 'half-shaft'?

I only ask because the comment about releasing the boot suggests that the axle is going to come away from the inner cv joint, but my gin addled brain is probably misinterpreting something there.

Thanks to all who replied, I expect that there will be a clip there, as KHE stated. Must be about 4+ inches in diameter though, based on the only groove i have noted on the replacement part. Its probably not going to be a big deal once I get under the car and examine the inner side of the axle/cv where it enters the trans ... otherwise there would be more posted about it on this board. Either that or very few have actually done it. My driving techniques may have encouraged premature failure of the cv's ... lol.

Guess its time to buy a manual :rolleyes:

The terms half shaft and drive axle are interchangable.

The clip that I referreed to is inside the transaxle. It is inside a groove machined in the female spline. If you look at the male spline on the half shaft, you'll see a groove.

Once you have the axle free at the outer end, it will easily pop out of the transaxle if you use a slide hammer with the fork attachment that fits in the grooves in the axle housing. You can also use place the end of a large screwdriver in the slot on the housing and tap the handle end of the screwdriver with a rubber mallet.

Once you have the axle removed, shine a flashlight into the transaxle and you will see the circlip that I referred to.

Make sure the replacement axle has the same type of boots as the original axle. Many times, aftermarket axles will have soft boots that won't hold up like the molded OEM design.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Ok KHE, thanks for the clarification, I can feel a groove in the female spline most of the way in ( yeah, I know how this sounds B)), wish I could comment more!. Don't want to be banished, lol . Reminds me of a comic, who picked up 2 mike stands with 3 legs each, threw them over his shoulders (back to the audience, so its just his back and the 2, 3 toed mike stands over his shoulder facing you) and the punch line was .... 'Chicken Obstetrician' .... guess you had to see it.

Ok, seriously now, I have the 1st wheel up and tried to get the ball joint off, but sockets won't fit in the space and I don't have the right size wrench (i am guessing 17mm), I am out of light, so it will have to be in the morning.

Archived