CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

high idle rpm

GOOB

when leaving work today, i noticed my rpms where up around 2000 at idle. before i put it in drive, i tapped the gas and they dropped back down to normal (around 900-1000)

........throttle body cleaning?

when leaving work today, i noticed my rpms where up around 2000 at idle. before i put it in drive, i tapped the gas and they dropped back down to normal (around 900-1000)

I have the same problem and have been told that the thottle blade is being held open by carbon. I am about to clean mine also. I do the same thing, put the car in neutral and quickly pin it and release it and it usually clears.

I see you are from Virginia Beach i love it there and have stayed at the Cavalier Hotel. The street performers are terrific, and I miss Mahi Ma's!! Mike

just moved here at the end of last summer...military. i have been going full speed between work and home and haven't had too much time to relax and enjoy the area. although i have visited in the past, this will be my first full summer here.

back to the throttle body...is this something that we could clear up with a little WOT action? I have not touched this NS engine yet ("scared") but I was pretty familiar with the 4.9 in my old 91 Seville. is there much of a drastic difference?

The idle speed control motor could be acting up. There is a LOT of information in the archives on testing the closed throttle switch and idle speed control motor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived