CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 SEVILLE TRANS SHIFT PROBLEM

JIMBOBF

SHIFTS 1-2 AND 2-3 FINE IN TOWN AS LONG AS BELOW 45MPH......WHEN ABOVE THAT SPEED IT WILL SHIFT INTO AND STAY IN 2ND....THE CHECK ENG LIGHT COMES ON ALSO.....AFTER IGN IS SHUT OFF IT RESETS ITSELF AND SHIFTS FINE ....ERROR CODE SAYS SHIFT SOLENOID B....HOW CAN SOLENOID BE BAD(?) WHEN WORKING FINE BELOW 45MPH???? ANYONE HAVE THIS HAPPEN??

This happened to me. The parts aren't too expensive and there are people on here that have done it themselves but I had mine done at a transmission shop. I got a deal on mine for around $200 or so, but I've seen estimates on this board for $450 to $550 being typical, if I remember right. The actual parts themselves are relatively cheap.

EDIT: Here's some information I found on why they go bad from Barry94:

The reason they fail is that the edge (wing) of one of the solenoids is used to retain a screen oil filter. That filter in mine had the "O" ring worn on the filter and it was allowed to "bump" up against the solenoid when fluid passed in that direction.

Eventually the solenoid failed (cracked the plastic housing on the solenoid). The filter causes the solenoid to break and "cock" sideways.

The kit contains solenoids without "wings". A new metal bracket and bolt is supplied.

The metal bracket now retains the screen filter.

You should replace both the A and B shift solenoids at the same time. I think they come as a kit. www.rockauto.com has them, and you can use the discount code in my signature.

Here is a post from Willie Hank on how to replace them:

4T-80E Shift Solenoid Replacment

a) the job is a mess, be prepared.

cool.gif drop the pan, and careful removing the tranny gasket, it is re-usable. Once you clean the pan, you can reset it with gasket sealer.

c) disconnect the solenoid electrical connectors and the mechanical linkage. The linkage has a metal clip you lift and slide.

d) remove the valve body screws, and drop the valve body.

e) place the valve body where you can afford a mess, it will continually leak. Best thing is to set it on cardboard on a bench. There is a valve spool that can be removed as well, careful it can slip out, you don't want to damage it.

f) remove the two clips holding the solenoids, careful they are spring-loaded and will fly

g) remove the screws holding the "large" portion of the valve body split, this is where the solenoids are incased. Remember the screw locations, there are about four different screw lengths

h) CAREFULLY remove split, there are 4 steel check balls loose inside the split (about 1/4" diameter, they will fly, as well)

i) inspect spacer plate, if the black coating is not chipping off you can re-use it, otherwise plan on spending another $ 70 at the dealership parts house. If you replace it you will have to remove the "smaller" split, as well. It also has three check balls.

j) replace the solenoids

k) now comes the fun,....you will note three holes in the spacer plate where three of the check balls reside, seat them there (appr. 3/16" diameter with a smaller relief hole next to it, as I remember). The fourth check ball will need to be inserted in a spherically-cast cavity, which is near one of the solenoids. You can set it with grease, I re-assembled successfully without using grease.

l) re-assemble valve body, carefully and equally torque.

m) you will note a square black plastic item near one of the solenoids, on the end. Replace this plastic filter with the new filter in the solenoid kit. The kit will also come with an L-shaped bracket that is to be used to "capture" this filter and keep it from backing out. The kit also comes with a slightly longer screw used to mount the bracket to the valve body (discard the old screw).

m) re-assemble valve body to transmission, hook up linkage and electrical connectors

n) replace both tranny filters

o) replenish fluid

p) reset codes

I am told there is a hidden drain plug for the side cover fluid (where most of the fluid is...) that is accessible once the lower pan is removed. The plug is pretty evident on the end of the trans under the side cover. Use this to drain additional fluid out.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Archived