CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 STS lost it's punch

chig

Hi All

My 99 STS seems to have lost it's punch.

58k mi

28k mi on K&N filter (bought before I read the comparisons on this board)

Original plugs/wires etc.

It seems like when I get on it hard, it doen't put me back in the seat like it did when newer.

I don't think I gained that much weight :o

Thanks for your input.

My advice would be to put everything back to stock that you can and then re-evaluate the situation. Put in an AC paper filter, check to see that there's no varnish or anything in the MAF (from the K&N). You might pull a few of the plugs to check their condition, but at only 60k on the plugs, they shouldn't be bad. I have 132k on my originals and they're still just fine.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'd just change the plugs. At around 50K I changed them and made a big difference. Before my 98 STS always felt kinda sluggish and didn't feel like a 300hp V8. The acceleration after the replacement felt sharper and reved higher. Use only the stock Ac Delco platinum plugs. They are expensive at around $4 each at most part stores.

Have you done "anything" at all? Like change oil, or fuel brands, or new tires, to cause this?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

:huh: when you say it's lost its punch, be more specific if you can please...

I was able to chirp my ziex 512s between first and second, but no not lately. Also the other day I had it in 3rd so as to not go over 60 without tapping the brakes. (Copper in front of me) the car seemed to studder a bit.

It may be the air filter, I don't hear the sound of the hood getting sucked in the intake when I nail it. Now that I think about it I miss that sound...

It's going in for a check-up. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the input.

Have you done "anything" at all? Like change oil, or fuel brands, or new tires, to cause this?

Oil was change a month or so ago, and tires around october. As far as fuel, I usually run Sunoco premium because it's close and I haven't had any problems. Although 2.02 is a lot to pay. :D

My guess is gas, I noticed that with my other cars that are high compression the gas doesn't seem like it was before it went through the roof. If it just started on your last tank of gas next time put some octane boost in it with Mobile or Sunoco

hi test.

I think there was a post on here where the problem was an injector that was causing the problem.

Julio

Had new plugs and wires installed and new paper air filter as well. The mechanic found a lot of debris in the air filter box including a piece of celophane. MAF was clean.

But I wasn't able to really get on it hard. I have a broken front motor mount, so I'll take it easy till I get it fixed.

I also got some drilled and slotted rotors on the front, and ceramic pads all around.

Archived