CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/C Evaporator Core needs to be preplaced

coolj940

Tech at the caddy shop said my A/C Evaporator Core needs to be replaced and qouted me at 1300.00

Where is this located? I know some vheicles in the dashboard????

or is it the one by the radatior?????

I'm not sure, any advice from anyone that has done this before?

Tech at the caddy shop said my A/C Evaporator Core needs to be replaced and qouted me at 1300.00

Where is this located? I know some vheicles in the dashboard????

or is it the one by the radatior?????

I'm not sure, any advice from anyone that has done this before?

Evaporator leaks are rare on that car - what was the method the tech used to diagnose the leaking evaporator? If he used an electronic leak detector with the probe stuffed down the vent, make sure the blower was OFF for a few minutes otherwise, air movement will set off the detector. The A/C system must be run for a few minutes, then turned off for an additional few minutes. Then, with the doors and windows closed, place the probe down the center vent.

If UV dye was used, look for the presence of dye in the condensate from the evaporator drain.

If the diagnosis is correct and the evaporator is leaking, replacement is a HUGE job. You will need to have any refrigerant in the system recovered before you begin the work. The engine cradle needs to be lowered in order to gain access to the HVAC housing. Replace all o-rings when opening up the connections. Lube the o-rings with 525 viscosity mineral refrigerant oil (the kind used for R-12) not PAG oil. PAG-150 oil is used inside the system with the refrigerant but should not be used to lube connection o-rings as it attracts moisture and can corrode the joints. You can also use Nylog - it is a substance used to lube o-rings and can be found at refrigerant supply houses or online.

You will need to add a couple of ounces of PAG-150 (high viscosity refrigerant oil to the new evaporator before installing it. The service manual has the proper amount. If your hvac housing cover is crumbling, now would be the time to replace it. Also, if the blower motor is the original type (with the 1/2" thick steel inertial plate), this is the time to replace it with the new generation blower with the fiberglass heat shield.

Once the new evap. is installed and connected, a vacuum needs to be drawn on the system with a vacuum pump and if there are no leaks, the system is then charged with 2.0 lbs of R-134a.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived