CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cigarette lighter socket removal ?

laocmo

I have a 2001 Eldorado ESC with a burnt out/ shorted front cigarette lighter socket. Is there a tool, or an easy way, to remove it for replacement without dismantling the ash tray or center console? I don't smoke, but could use it to charge my cell phone and power my TomTom. Is there a different type socket recommended for accessories?

While I'm at it, does anyone know a good source for the entire ashtray assembly if I can't fix it part by part. eBay, Google, etc have been of no help.

Thanks

Ive got the FSM for an 01 STS... I will look later to see if it tells how to remove the cig lighter... never had to do it before.

I would try ordering the parts offline... may take a little longer to get.

Ive had good luck with www.GMPartsDirect.com... Ive also looked at www.OnlyFactoryParts.com.

If you want aftermarket parts, which I dont know if they make the ashtray aftermarket, but www.rockauto.com is a fairly good website.

If you need to, you can also contact a dealership in Bransington Florida, they are very good... do a search for Bransington on this site and you should be able to find contact info... if not google it and you should find it... I think they sell for 20% over cost, plus shipping.

If you have time... a boneyard might be a good and cheap solution... I cant imagine too much can go wrong with the ashtray.

Why are you replacing the ashtray? It sounds like you just have a wiring problem.

I have a cig lighter from a 97 Deville that I am parting out if the problem is in the lighter/socket itself and not the wiring.

Oh, BTW, Welcome aboard. :welcomesmiley:

Jonah

The ashtray lid is stuck in the open position also. I'm just thinking of the worse case scenario that I have to replace the entire unit. Thanks for all the info!

The ashtray lid is stuck in the open position also. I'm just thinking of the worse case scenario that I have to replace the entire unit. Thanks for all the info!

:welcomesmiley:

This attachment should help.

For "Experienced" parts I've had great luck with http://www.cadauto.com . They're not inexpensive, but they have great online and telephone service. Delivery is quick. Their parts are pristine in my experience and they have great variety. Once however, I ordered a steering wheel and mentioned I was going to have it recovered anyway, so I didn't really care about its condition. They sent me a "scuffed" wheel at a considerable discount. Nice!

Regards,

Warren

Ashtray_Replacement.pdf

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

This should help.

Regards,

Warren

And this . . .

Trim_Replacement.pdf

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived