CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fan Question

kens96

Looking at a possiby updating to an 2005 or newer STS with the N*. Road tested one yesterday with all the options. Nice ride, performance and optioned beyond my expectations.

Noticed when I looked at the engine bay that the cooling fan was belt driven. I was expecting electric fans. Does anybody know why GM would go to a belt drive fan? Seems old school and inefficient to me.

That's a really good question. My 05 Avalanche has electric fans and it's obviously rear wheel drive. I would think it would be electric in the Cadillac.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

The V-6 engine option comes with 2 electric cooling fans and the Northstar V-8 comes with the belt driven cooling fan AND 2 electric fans for a total of 3 cooling fans! The Northstar just wants to be cool! :hatsoff:

Are there any engine compartment pictures of the inline mounted Northstar, showing the fan system?

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Thanks for the information Maximin.

Guess I didn't drive it hard enough to get the fans to turn on so that I could hear them! With all the plastic cowling around the engine compartment it is hard to see anything other than the beauty cover and the mechanical fan.

Archived