CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What Mechanical Info is in VIN# ?

RalPh

Can a AWD car be identified from the VIN???

I'm shopping for a 05/06 STS on the net. I've found the descriptions in most listings to be less than informative...

I have figured out that if the 5th digit is a W it's a 6cly and a C means an 8cly (I can quickly eliminate the 6's by scanning the VIN#)

What about AWD??? I"m having to call these guy to find out because they don't necessarily include that, important to Me, info in these listings.

I could really fly through these ads if I knew....

TIA :)

That's the trouble with the current STS's. I had always sworn that I would never buy a brand new car because the value on a Cadillac drops so much after you drive it off the lot. I have always bought a 2-3 year old Caddy that I save thousands on and still looked brand new! Everything was pretty much standard with a few options. With the current STS, EVERYTHING is pretty much an option, including the engine! I knew I would NEVER find a used STS the way I wanted it so I ended up buying new. It's hardly worth anything now but I got it the way I wanted!! B)

I just can't piss-away the 30K I'd save though..... It's not in me ;)

Besides, the V8 AWD's all seem to have that "1SG" option so, they're really loaded-up!

I'm gonna keep looking, the right car is out there - I just need to find it. I'm torn between paying the exorbitant dealership prices and get a certified used, with the 6yr/100K warranty, or find one cheaper privately or on some lot....

Archived