CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Storing away the cadillac

Bentham

FYI, the old boards archives are still working...just go to the home page here, open them up and type in "storage" "winter storage"..you get the idea.

Here's an excerpt from bbobynski, our storage guru (there's more..)

If it's already in storage I would just leave it alone...If you've already started it since storage then it wouldn't hurt to start it once more and stray some fogging oil in the throttle body. Any light oil ( like 50/50 diluted two stroke oil/gasoline) in a squirt oil can would work. I like to make a full tank of premix a week ahead of time and drive most of it out so as to really coat everything. I don't have any problem putting the car away with an empty (or near empty) tank... I think the idea of condensation in the tank stems from pre-emission days of non-sealed tanks and systems. The sytem is so sealed that there will be little or no air exchange with the inside of the fuel tank over the winter...and so what if there is a little.?? Just how much condensation can form ??? A few drops of water? Run a bottle of dry gas in the spring and that will take care of that. If you fill the tank when you make the premix (dump the oil in first then fill the tank to mix it) that will drive all the "air" out of the tank and the only thing lift will be gas vapor. As the tank is used the gasoline vapor will take the place of the fuel as it drops and there will be no water vapor in the tank to condense.....unless you take the cap off with the tank empty...!! All my vehicles/engines are always stored with empty tanks as I don't like the idea of all that fuel sitting in tanks in storage...especially since many of them are in a basement garage under the house!!

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

When I store my Fleetwood for the winter, in addition to the items in Bob's post, I change the engine oil right before driving the car to the storage facility. Once the car is in the storage facility, I remove the battery so I can periodically keep it charged.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

they make a charger for a battery called i think a battery tender...its used a lot on motorhomes to keep the batts good it will only let them get so low before it stops draining...i think. also there is a mix on the market to preserve your fuel again you just have to look. here is a link to a battery tender

battery tender

and here is a link to some fuel preserver

fuel stabilizer

hope this helps

they make a charger for a battery called i think a battery tender...its used a lot on motorhomes to keep the batts good it will only let them get so low before it stops draining...i think. also there is a mix on the market to preserve your fuel again you just have to look. here is a link to a battery tender

battery tender

and here is a link to some fuel preserver

fuel stabilizer

hope this helps

The battery tender is a good idea too - I just periodically charge my battery with an automatic charger though as I already have that equipment.

I also put Sta-bil in the tank to keep the fuel from turning sour but I can say from experience with my snowmobile that Sta-bil does NOT prevent gum and varnish from forming.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived