CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'94 Concours Oil Pressure Warning

luvmacaddy

Bought my wife a used '94 Deville Concours. Interior and exterior immaculate. Owned for 12 years by retired John Deere worker and wife. Sold to a younger guy that I bought it from.

Have had it for about a week, put about 60 miles on it----I drove it to make factory two days, then my wife drove it to grocery shop.

Last Tuesday I drove it out of town to a meeting I had, then the Coolant Warning indicator came on, and then the low oil pressure warning came on.

I had oil and anti-freeze in the trunk--person I purchased it from said that it needed anti-freeze occasionally, he replaced the radiator last spring--added coolant, started it back up, traded cars with my wife---just in case--and she drove it home. No problems until she turned into the driveway when the oil pressure warning indicator scrolled across the (?) DIC?

I checked the oil this evening, everything fine---oil changed about 200 miles ago. We drove to dinner---about 7 miles in mostly 55+mph zones. When we were stopped at stoplight. oil pressure warning came on with STOP ENGINE. I was about a half mile to restaurant, so we went there. I popped the hood and saw smoke rising from the right of the engine (under the power steering res) and saw a fair amount of oil splashed against the side of the engine, pulleys and belt. No choice but to drive home, which I did with no warning lights on what so ever. Still okay oil level.

Blown engine, gaskets, or worse???

Thanks, this forum is really neat to see people up on Caddys!

:welcomesmiley:

It's not too uncommon for the oil pressure sending unit to fail. Happily, it's easy and inexpensive to replace.

Slightly less common are cam cover leaks, but that would explain the oil on the front of the engine. The solution might be as simple as tightening the cam cover bolts to factory recommended torque specs.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

:welcomesmiley:

It's not too uncommon for the oil pressure sending unit to fail. Happily, it's easy and inexpensive to replace.

Slightly less common are cam cover leaks, but that would explain the oil on the front of the engine. The solution might be as simple as tightening the cam cover bolts to factory recommended torque specs.

Regards,

Warren

The faulty sensor would explain why no performance loss. (Runs great, oil level maintained properly.) Would also explain why seller was somewhat eager to unload said Caddy ;)

Is the oil sensor part the one I've read about on this forum. (P/N 35xxxspmething??)

Also, should I check the belt tensioner for the squeak that is coming from that part of the motor? And where would I find the torque specs for the cam cover?

Thanks,

Tim

The oil pressure switch is mounted on the oil filter adapter, and as Warren mentioned, a somewhat common problem.

Yeah, check the tensioner and idler pulley bearings.

person I purchased it from said that it needed anti-freeze occasionally

I don't like this.

NOPE! Miles to go before you jump to that awful conclusion.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived