CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'96 Deville Blower Motor

caddydude

I have a '96 Deville Concours that is having a heater blower problem. This seems to only occur when I go to a touchless car wash. It will quit running for a short time and then it will work for a few seconds and quit again and eventually will come back on and be ok until I go to the car wash again. I washed the car today and while I was in the wash bay I suddenly could smell burnt plastic and the heater quit working and now I cannot get it to work at all. Plugs are all good, fuses are all good and it is getting electric to the blower through the one pin (thick red wire). Do you guys think the blower motor is shot and if so does anyone have any ideas on the best way to remove it? :rolleyes:

I have a '96 Deville Concours that is having a heater blower problem. This seems to only occur when I go to a touchless car wash. It will quit running for a short time and then it will work for a few seconds and quit again and eventually will come back on and be ok until I go to the car wash again. I washed the car today and while I was in the wash bay I suddenly could smell burnt plastic and the heater quit working and now I cannot get it to work at all. Plugs are all good, fuses are all good and it is getting electric to the blower through the one pin (thick red wire). Do you guys think the blower motor is shot and if so does anyone have any ideas on the best way to remove it? :rolleyes:

Sounds like the blower motor died - to remove the motor, remove the three bolts that hold the 1/2" thick inertial plate to the blower motor and remove the inertial plate. Next, remove the 5 or so screws that hold the blower to the HVAC housing. Rotate the blower so the narrow portion of the flange is toward the cam cover and remove the blower. You will probably need to remove the plug wires at the rear bank, etc. to gain room.

When you order a replacement blower, be sure to order the heat shield. GM used to include the heat shield with the newer design motor but stopped - they figure there are not any 1st generation motors out there.

Installation of the new motor is more difficult dut to the lack of clearance. Ranger used a turnbuckle in place of the dogbones to rock the engine forward to gain room. I just lowered the engine cradle. If you lower the cradle, make sure to disconnect the suspension sensors from the frame so they do not get damaged.

Online sources for blower motors are rockauto.com or gmotors.com.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived