CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hesitation

Airmex

Hey all

My 90 Caddy ElDorado is hesitating when i press on it gently.

If I smash it, it will kick in the passing gear but wont hold it for long and

I have no guts on the top end (higher thatn 65-70 mph). Today I will do the tune up, plugs, wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, and o/2 sensor. If this does not fix my problem, can I get some input to look for something else that may be triggering my

hesistation.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hey all

My 90 Caddy ElDorado is hesitating when i press on it gently.

If I smash it, it will kick in the passing gear but wont hold it for long and

I have no guts on the top end (higher thatn 65-70 mph). Today I will do the tune up, plugs, wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, and o/2 sensor. If this does not fix my problem, can I get some input to look for something else that may be triggering my

hesistation.

Thanks in advance

Mike

I would clean the EGR tubes before anything else and as for the "no top end" I would lean towards a plugged catalytic convertor.

EGR tubes are below the Throttle Body, 2 brass tubes most likely filled with black gunk!

• 2 weeks later...

Well..it turns out it was a bad injector #5. Dead/gone/i quit. Replaced it and the caddy runs great again. When the caddy gets to its normal engine temperature, and i come to a stop, then proceed to press on the gas pedal. I can still feel just a little bit of hesitation, but then clears up. Are the rest of my injectors going bad? It's got to be something else. As I mentioned on the above posts..I have done everything for the tune up, wires, plugs, pcv, clean egr tubes, air filter, cap, rotor, and coil pack. Any further advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Clean the EGR tubes first - that should eliminate the hesitation when accelerating from a stop.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The only thing i can think of is the idle air control valve try cleaning it first there is a measurement for the pintle but I dont know what it is. Im assuming your year cadillac has one. MIKE

I can't believe nobody said to clean the deposits from the throttle body and the back side of the throttle plates. It is a classic problem for your era Caddy that causes hesitation. Tooth brush and carburetor cleaner. Also as you already did rod out the EGR tubes. All that crap that plugs them can fall down. There is nothing down there to hurt by it.

Why are you removing the throttle body??? To clean, just hold the throttle plate open and scrub away the deposits with an old toothbrush and carb cleaner.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived