CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

92 Sedan Deville drivability issue

lnwilcoxson

my 92 sedan deville just rolled over 180,000 miles. This morning out of the blue it started hesitating like crazy. the problem is generally less apparent at light throttle but as I apply more throttle engine begins to hesitate and backfire through the throttle body. I replaced the normal things (maintenance was almost due anyway). I replaced the plugs and wires and installed a new fuel filter. No change in the symptoms. My catalytic convertor is just a few months old so i ruled out a restriction. Has anybody else experienced anything like this? I run premium fuel and always buy my fuel from the same company. I am not getting a service engine light at all. My drive to work is 43 miles and problem seemed to come and go both going to work this morning 36 degrees and coming home tonight 60 degrees. I am suspecting fuel pump?

Before replacing the pump, replace the cap & rotor. Cap contacts will erode overtime from the spark. The gap widens and you get the symptoms you describe.

Thank You! I iwll give that a shot tomorrow. I wish this was a shovelhead or and evo engine , but, with injected car engines I am lost.

Check the fuel pressure regulator. It is probably leaking fuel and flooding the throttle body with gas. Look under the air cleaner for a small cylinder with a fuel line coming in on one end and a rubber hose on the other end. Pull the rubber hose with the fuel system pressurized (key on or running) and see if gas is coming out. If it is, replace it. It can be a bear to replace due to a screw that has to be loosened from the underside.

Check the fuel pressure regulator. It is probably leaking fuel and flooding the throttle body with gas. Look under the air cleaner for a small cylinder with a fuel line coming in on one end and a rubber hose on the other end. Pull the rubber hose with the fuel system pressurized (key on or running) and see if gas is coming out. If it is, replace it. It can be a bear to replace due to a screw that has to be loosened from the underside.

Thank You ,I will check it in the morning.

if u try all of that i would do a fuel pressure test. if thats ok i would check the injectors next hope this helps

Wiz DRIVE IT LIKE YOU own it!!!!!! 1967 chevy II ( FOR SALE!!!!) 1995 Lexus Es 300 1998 SLS

My 92 Deville did what yours is doing.

I fineally made a hose long enough to get my fuel pressure gauge up to the windshield and tape it where I could read it.

When the car started sputtering the pressure gauge would drop and flucuate.

Also with less that 8 gallons in the tank when I would stop the engine would die.

I replaced the tank and fuel pump and have had no peoblems since. (YET!!!)

It was about a 4 hour job for me including getting the fuel out of the tank.

Now if I can Figure out how to get this to post.

if u try all of that i would do a fuel pressure test. if thats ok i would check the injectors next hope this helps

THANK YOU

My 92 Deville did what yours is doing.

I fineally made a hose long enough to get my fuel pressure gauge up to the windshield and tape it where I could read it.

When the car started sputtering the pressure gauge would drop and flucuate.

Also with less that 8 gallons in the tank when I would stop the engine would die.

I replaced the tank and fuel pump and have had no peoblems since. (YET!!!)

It was about a 4 hour job for me including getting the fuel out of the tank.

Now if I can Figure out how to get this to post.

Thank You, i noticed a while back that under 5 gallons I sould get a sputter

Early '90's are known for tank baffles going bad. In low fuel situations (under 5 gal.) fuel will slosh away from the pump pick up, thus causing fuel starvation.

Archived