CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

replacing ineer and outer tierods

jeffputts

Hey guys, Im sure this topic has been covered before on here, but I have searched and searched and can't seem to find a good answer. I am in the process of replacing my inner and outer tie rod ends. I got the outer popped out and slid the boot down on the inner. I DO NOT want to drop my steering rack to do this. The kit that advance auto had with the different size wrench type things for removing the inner didnt have a size that fit, but a 1 7/8's" ford fan clutch wrench does fit on the tie rod. only problem is that there is not enough space to get the wrench on as it is too long to fit under the car.

I have seen some posts of a special socket? My friend who works at advanceauto has never heard of this and he has done tie rods many times, just not on cadillacs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Btw I have a 94 Eldo with 155k on the clock

Thanks

Hey guys, Im sure this topic has been covered before on here, but I have searched and searched and can't seem to find a good answer. I am in the process of replacing my inner and outer tie rod ends. I got the outer popped out and slid the boot down on the inner. I DO NOT want to drop my steering rack to do this. The kit that advance auto had with the different size wrench type things for removing the inner didnt have a size that fit, but a 1 7/8's" ford fan clutch wrench does fit on the tie rod. only problem is that there is not enough space to get the wrench on as it is too long to fit under the car.

I have seen some posts of a special socket? My friend who works at advanceauto has never heard of this and he has done tie rods many times, just not on cadillacs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Btw I have a 94 Eldo with 155k on the clock

Thanks

is the the tool a long tube? if so i use it all the time at work on cadillacs it might not fit tight but it will work. i also got mine from mac tool there might be a slight diff in the sizes. also there might be an lock on the rack side of the tie rod. hope i helped!

Wiz DRIVE IT LIKE YOU own it!!!!!! 1967 chevy II ( FOR SALE!!!!) 1995 Lexus Es 300 1998 SLS

So i picked up the loaner tool from autozone that is supposed to work, but it doesnt fit over the end of the tie rod. The end of the rod is circular and this tool is basically a really long socket. Ay other ideas? I really wanted to get this thing done today

is it just 1 peice? the tool i have has a tube that comes with about 5 sizes that fit in the end.

Wiz DRIVE IT LIKE YOU own it!!!!!! 1967 chevy II ( FOR SALE!!!!) 1995 Lexus Es 300 1998 SLS

is it just 1 peice? the tool i have has a tube that comes with about 5 sizes that fit in the end.

yea it is just a one piece

well i dont know what 2 tell u but i got mine from mac tools & i haven't had 1 i couldnt do with it. try to look on macs web site to see if they got a pic. go to tooltopia.com and put in inner tierod tool it has a pic of the one i work with

Are you positive the inner tie rods are bad? Usually it is the outer tie rod ends that wear out.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived